Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My UHL Setup (In Progress)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it looks like the gallon of water worked to buffer the overall temperatures, with it taking a longer time to cool during the night but also having slightly lower low's and clearly lower high's, during the early day in particular. This slightly reduced the temperature fluctuations at the most from 15 degrees to around 12, so not a total success in terms of really rounding out the variation and moving the needle, but it's a start. I've had a hard time finding much information on fluctuations like this during the daytime and how it impacts plant growth, but I imagine that even someone with a probe thermostat would have a similar (although less extreme) problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a brief update on this project, below is my final setup as far as plants and materials in the tank. I am still seeing a large temperature drop when the fridge cycles on during the daytime, so I'm planning on getting a digital timer so that I have more flexibility than the half hour peg timer I am currently using. Having the moss basin has really kept the humidity much higher than sitting water. It did not drop below 70% at any time during the several days I let it run.

As for the hamata, I have ramped up the application of Bayer 3 in 1 and am seeing no ill effects so far. Initially when I had applied Neem Oil I was seeing some burning of the leaves after each application, so I have switched over to the 3 in 1 completely for this round. It appears that the primary growth point may be dead or on its way out, so after the spraying regimen is complete I will try applying some keiki paste to the nodes below the primary growth tip. The roots on this plant are monstrous so I anticipate that the plant should have a decent chance of bouncing back after it settles into the new conditions.
    Last edited by Leafgeek; 08-20-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafgeek View Post
    I will try applying some keiki paste to the nodes below the primary growth tip. .
    This won´t be necessary. As soon as the main growth point
    has died off, one of the lower nodes will start to grow.
    Of course it will take some time, but your setup is much more
    favorable now.

I have a S. spectabilis (from o local grower) which came with mites.
    After one leaf the growth point was missing:
    My UHL Setup (In Progress)-dsc09937-jpg

After a severe treatment with a miticide some weeks later a node
    below started to sprout:

My UHL Setup (In Progress)-dsc04714-jpg

Good luck with your N. hamata!

Joachim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like another node had already started forming a shoot on my plant without me bothering it so I'll leave it alone for a while and see how it progresses!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad things seem to be going better for you, i only keep my room at 65% humidity as a low threshold and my humidifiers would fly through water so fast at first. now that my room is full of potted plants the humidity is buffered very well by all that moist grow media and humidifiers only get filled once per week. and not only that, the humidity stays in the 70s purely through evaporation and the humidifiers are only being triggered when the AC unit turns on.

i actually had a hamata that was struggling through something similar and by treating it for fungus and insects it has turned around big time! hope yours does the same, heres progression from diagnosing a problem to today.

20B170A6-ABC8-4B6F-9526-92A35AB24F38 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    unnamed by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    A1DE06D2-CD74-463C-A49E-7128E8AD6159 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! How long did it take for yours to recover?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applied first treatment early June, highlanders seem to take their time in everything they do lol
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some quick updates from the wine cooler setup. I purchased some live sphagnum to spruce up the tank, and it looks to be doing well. Overall the temperatures have been on the lower side, with a high of 72 during the day so I am currently fine-tuning the on/off cycles to let it get a little warmer in the tank during the day time. So far, the plants do not seem to mind the temperature swings when the cooler turns on during the day, and humidity has been very stable never dropping below 75% with the sphagnum and water reservoir underneath the plants.

All of the plants have started growing after acclimating to the cooler, but they are quite a bit slower than without the temperature drops, as expected. I'm hoping this will pay off with a more long term healthy growing situation.

The N. hamata has begun to resume new growth after the pest/pathogen issue. I am still unsure of what caused this damage, but it is likely a bug issue in combination with the lack of night time temp drops. After looking the plant over thoroughly with a dissecting scope I was unable to find any bugs or obvious signs of insects, although the uppermost shoot meristem was deformed and looked to have some browning and leaves that failed to unfurl. There were multiple small nodules around the growth point that were a mix between green and brown in coloration, and I made the decision to excise this from the tissue to promote laterals to develop. So far there are two shoots that are starting to form from the leaf nodes. Hopefully this is a good sign and the growth continues with these better conditions and without me fussing over it!

Thanks again to all of you for the great suggestions and willingness to help! The plants have improved vastly from the suggestions I received here and the information from older threads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast