Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My UHL Setup (In Progress)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to see, we all want healthy plants and help when things go wrong!
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Leafgeek, wondering how this is going for you and the plants? Did you switch to a more temp controlled setup or is it still just cycling on and off?

I'm trying to find ways to get more HL-ish temps in a small space living in a subtropical climate (i.e. swamp coolers will not be effective for me either) and yours is the most recent wine fridge setup I could find as an example. You mentioned not wanting to cut into the top for the lights, and that is my biggest concern as well. It's a bit hard for me to grasp based on the pics, so I was also curious how did you get the wiring for the lights and fan out, just a smaller hole?

My other option is a chest freezer, but I'm worried about frozen plants if something malfunctions (and it wouldn't be as easy to view them). Thanks for any guidance!
    Last edited by jpappy789; 10-17-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. Just a word of warning on the digital thermometer/hydrometer. They donít like getting their internals wet My UHL Setup (In Progress). I killed the one I have just like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jpappy789 I have left the cooler on a timer for now and the plants seem to be doing OK. To stabilize the humidity a little I've made a sphagnum wall in the back next to the cooling coils that sits in a water tray to keep the dehumidification away from the plants themselves. Temperatures have been pretty consistent, and it's mainly the humidity fluctuations that concern me the most at this point.

The wires I have for the leds and fans are just placed through the top of the door for now. It doesn't look so bad and gives a little fresh air exchange through the crack in the door. Good luck with your setup and let me know if you have any node questions I can help with!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an update to my earlier posts, there was indeed a mite problem. These particular mites were red and smaller than any I have seen in the past, with no visible webs on the plant tissues. I used a combination of dry ice bombs inside the cooler as well as some Avid treatments to take care of them. The hamata seems to be recovering quickly with 4-5 growth points developing, although they are much smaller than before. I think from now on I will do a monthly dry ice bomb to keep the pest pressure as low as possible if there are still any that remain. Thanks for all the help and suggestions! It is a nice feeling to finally have some normal plant growth after some time struggling to figure out the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally, I observed some leaf burn when applying neem oil to my plants during the daytime and thought it might be helpful to mention for others. It appears that daytime applications may have caused some sensitivity to light, as I did not see this effect when neem was applied once my lights were off. I think most of the liquid had the chance to dry out overnight and that may be why I didn't see any leaf burn when applying in this way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123