What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquito Tent, Florida outdoors, and Terrarium, Osmotic watering..

• Thread starter Ducky
  • Start date
This might sound crazy..but I was wondering if a mosquito tent- so its partial sun and air flow..Florida (treasure coast, direct sun is too hot) outdoor-temperate..plastic terrarium with osmotic or capillary watering- for humidity would work for caring for plants for 3-4weeks. I'd have three 3gallon buckets of rainwater in the tent, with string or plastic tube going to the plants..Id have a plastic umbrella kind of thing over the buckets and plants, so plants still have air and humidity..or would it be better if it did not have anything over the plants (they have drainage holes). Want them to be covered in patio so squirrels, ect cannot harm them, but only direct sun in that area.

Would this work? Thank you!

Last edited:
I am on the opposite coast, but since I was looking for property on both coasts, I know the climate you are in is similar to mine.

I suspect the reason no one has replied is that some information is not really relatable and some is missing.

Mosquito netting isn’t a known variable for growers as far as how much light it blocks. Different cloths from window screen to shade cloth block different amount of light.

It’s also impossible to know the exact amount of light your plants get, because structures, trees, orientation, and other factors will influence things.

I can’t personally picture your watering, but I’ve used wick watering and capillary matting.
Nepenthes will grow very well wicked and this will solve your dilemma of leaving the plants for extended periods.
For information about setting up wick watering, research wick watering African Violets to get the basics and I can help you with anything unclear.

We also need to know which species you are interested in, since they will have different light and temperature needs.

As for myself, I will be building a lathe house, with shade cloth between panels of plastic lattice, to provide filtered shade. If you are in full, unobstructed South/West sun, you likely want between 40-60% shade cloth.

Best of luck!

Back