What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds I've made...

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
So I've made a bunch of boschiana x campanulata and thorellii x campanulata hybrid crosses over the years - mostly with platychila, possibly by ventricosa x inermis. I might have sent out some ovata by maybe spectabilis x talangensis or ventricosa x inermis or something too. I forget by now I've made so many hahaha... anyway, I was interested in seeing how they're turning out if anyone has a pile of plants sprouted from them by now? I haven't come across too many pictures of them over the years yet. Pics appreciated! I auctioned off the only one I had sprouted on NASC this year so all my green-kids are out there living their lives now.

Might enter one in the POTM shortly...

You sent me some aristo x diatas seed a year or two ago. I actually did get germination on them but sadly, they never shed their seed coats for some reason.

You sent me some aristo x diatas seed a year or two ago. I actually did get germination on them but sadly, they never shed their seed coats for some reason.

Hmmm... I don't think that would have been me because my aristo is male, unless it would have been something I was passing along.

I know Dexenthes was kind enough to facilitate giving away some of my seeds too, so they might have come through him.

One of the things I feel bad about was one of my campy crosses (either thor x campy or bosch x campy) I crossed with pollen from Tony P's pectinata x campy pollen, and he had half the seed as is proper. I don't know if they survived the disaster, but I sure do hope so. I hope whoever got seeds from my half got some germination out of them because it would be a wonderful plant.

Hmmm... I don't think that would have been me because my aristo is male, unless it would have been something I was passing along.

I know Dexenthes was kind enough to facilitate giving away some of my seeds too, so they might have come through him.

One of the things I feel bad about was one of my campy crosses (either thor x campy or bosch x campy) I crossed with pollen from Tony P's pectinata x campy pollen, and he had half the seed as is proper. I don't know if they survived the disaster, but I sure do hope so. I hope whoever got seeds from my half got some germination out of them because it would be a wonderful plant.

Sorry for the very delayed response. A great number of the seeds you sent me did indeed germinate. I think the ones you sent me were thorelii x campanulata and platychila x (something). I lost track of what exactly the genes were that you sent.

Needless to say a ton of them sprouted and turned into a healthy small plants. I have sold a lot of them to people around town. So let it be known that Ketchikan, Alaska is home to a disproportionate concentration of your hybrids.

The only ones with any noteworthy pitchers right now in my collection are these two plants.

N. thorelii x campanulata ?

THEZCON.jpg

And this one I think is platychila x ??

thezbrid.jpg
zubrid.jpg

Sorry for the very delayed response. A great number of the seeds you sent me did indeed germinate. I think the ones you sent me were thorelii x campanulata and platychila x (something). I lost track of what exactly the genes were that you sent.

Needless to say a ton of them sprouted and turned into a healthy small plants. I have sold a lot of them to people around town. So let it be known that Ketchikan, Alaska is home to a disproportionate concentration of your hybrids.

The only ones with any noteworthy pitchers right now in my collection are these two plants.

N. thorelii x campanulata ?

View attachment 5121

And this one I think is platychila x ??

View attachment 5122
View attachment 5123

Thanks!!! Those plants are so nice - wish I could sprout stuff cuz I still fail at it. How do you sprout Nep seeds? I've got some in deli containers on heat mats, not on heat mats, and on heat mats just during the day and still nothing :(

I don't have one tried and true method that I have used with nepenthes seeds, but it seems to me that I have had the most success with using terrariums or humidity domes for the seeds.

Typically I will use live sphagnum moss and I cut it up with scissors to make it very fine so there's not as much irregularity in the surface that the seeds get sewed on. I think I have also used pure peat from the bogs as well. I think I had success with that?? I am such a space cadet, I wish i was more organized, I could give you a better answer.

At any rate, I don't think I have used heat pads for any of the seeds. The one time I tried it, it seemed to dry out the substrate much too quickly, and the seeds don't seem to want to dry out for any period of time. It seems to me that seeds will sprout best if they are given pretty much the same conditions as the living Nepenthes. Using a sealed terrarium helps keep the humidity high enough.

Back