What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month January 2020

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

Vote for the top 3 best!!

• hcarlton - N. burbidgeae x robcantleyi

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • corky - N. ovata

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • ThePlantBoi - N. truncata

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grey Moss - N. lowii x spectabilis

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • adnedarn - N. spathulata x ventrata

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • thez_yo - N. aristolochioides

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing at the end of the month 1/31/20.
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
9. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
10. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 02/01/20, closing 02/05/20 and using this forum! Voting will open on top of the thread at the close of the contest submissions.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on January 31st 2020 at 5:00PM EST.

Good luck!!

I may have entered it several times in the past, but this plant is just simply one of my favorites:
N. burbidgeae x robcantleyi by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This is a true upper as well. Slightly aged:
May return to this with an update later too, as it continues to darken.

My wife picked this one for the contest this month. Grey Moss has already gotten a part of this plant's parentage (in the shout box), I challenge you all to try and figure out what the cross is, make your guesses in the SHOUT BOX. I will add photos as it progresses, hopefully it fully opens before the moth is over. :p

20200110194753-deb49587-me.jpg

When voting for this contest, remember that I gave you updates. hcarlton has not. :poke:
Update #1
20200115190559-ff861628-me.jpg

Great looking pitcher hcarlton, gonna play the update game myself I reckon n.ovata upper

Andy wanted me to enter something this month, so just for fun here's my only intact pitcher right now :-))

I dont know how to rotate these... presenting, N.aristolochioides that inflated in a dark box so it's a strange color:
IMG_7578.jpg
IMG_7577.jpg

Not much in color, but I think it checks out. The largest pitcher so far on my nepenthes truncata, lowland.

72f3504302ee4f37cad96740bf757e92.jpg

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Andy wanted me to enter something this month, so just for fun here's my only intact pitcher right now :-))

I dont know how to rotate these... presenting, N.aristolochioides that inflated in a dark box so it's a strange color:

Cute lil devil there, Thez! One I may try one day if I can get it via trade. (Not sure if I can make it happy so would be reluctant to shell out hard earned $. heh)

IMG_20200117_111251.jpg

Here's Lowii x Spectabilis

Attachments

• IMG_20200117_111251.jpg
    IMG_20200117_111251.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 42
n.ovata just popped

Last edited:
Just realized there is a 6 month rule. I have some young plants, raining 2-4+ months old in my care. Can I post anyway for fun (ok if not eligible for winning, just thought it would be fun to share)? They would all be pitchers from new leaves that have fully grown while under my care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just realized there is a 6 month rule. I have some young plants, raining 2-4+ months old in my care. Can I post anyway for fun (ok if not eligible for winning, just thought it would be fun to share)? They would all be pitchers from new leaves that have fully grown while under my care.

Not unless you sprouted them from seed yourself. But you could make a picture thread on them in this subforum, because everyone always loves pics!

N.ovata update

Not unless you sprouted them from seed yourself. But you could make a picture thread on them in this subforum, because everyone always loves pics!

Fair enough sounds good!

Final update. Still no guesses on what cross this is? Answer in the shoutbox to win!

20200131004137-b263b2e9-me.jpg

20200131004138-eec10ee6-me.jpg

Final update. Still no guesses on what cross this is? Answer in the shoutbox to win!

20200131004137-b263b2e9-me.jpg

20200131004138-eec10ee6-me.jpg

You didn't label your plant. Please label your plant next time - because you own the place I'll give you a pass this one time because I found the label in the chat box. :p

Last edited:
You didn't label your plant. Please label your plant next time - because you own the place I'll give you a pass this one time because I found the label in the chat box. :p

My bad. I thought "identify your pitcher" was referring to if more than one was in the photo we needed to let you know which was being submitted. Not that we had to know what the plant was (or give that info) in order to enter it. It's ok if you DQ me, I submitted the blandest pitcher I could find for this one. :)

My bad. I thought "identify your pitcher" was referring to if more than one was in the photo we needed to let you know which was being submitted. Not that we had to know what the plant was (or give that info) in order to enter it. It's ok if you DQ me, I submitted the blandest pitcher I could find for this one. :)

Kind of both - well I guess I could label it as N.NOID. But if it turns into everyone doing that well... it'd get a little hectic in the poll.

Back