What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes stem rot?

• Thread starter liua
  • Start date
About a week ago, I got this lowii x campanualata. I decided to put it in a bag with a hole on top of it to raise humidity for a week to avoid shock and slowly take of the bag. But today I noticed a black area on the stem (only one side of the stem has it).
Capture.jpg
and the older leaves looked a little cooked. (for some strange reason, the plant currently smells like wood. maybe because its cooked?)
lowii x campanulata.jpg
but the growth point looks fine. So then I took it out of the bag and left it on my balcony. Is that the right thing to do?

First problem visible right off the bat: it's in the wrong soil. The majority of Nepenthes do not do well in peat-based soils unless they are exceptionally aerated by other components, that soil clearly is not. Beyond that however far more information about every aspect of the growing conditions is needed to give any sort of diagnosis, though it looks like either burns or other temperature shock issues from a glance. But we need to know: light type and intensity, water type and amount, temperatures, at least a decent estimate of humidity it's experiencing, etc.

At this time of the year, I receive about 5 hours of direct sun for a day. as for the water, i use regular tap water which i have been using for about a year with nepenthes without any issues. For the past few days, it has been cold (20c at max) and then yesterday and today was 10c hotter than before. it has been raining so i assume the humidity is at least 50%. For the soil, should I replace all the peat with something like coconut husk or just half?

When I was watering it, I think I did water between the leaves. That might be the problem.

Last edited:
IMG_1139.JPG
after about a day, the black area seemed to expand to the base of the shoot. Is it still possible to save it? If so, how?

Do you have access to long fiber sphagnum? I'm not sure about coco husk but you can't go wrong with LFS. Some mix perlite 50/50 into it for extra aeration, but you can try starting with just LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now the black area has spread up (but not down) , to the growth point, and the growth point is loose, as if it is about to break apart. But strangely, the other side of the plant still looks perfectly fine. Is there any chance that a basal shoot will appear if I cut the main growing point off? Should I cut of the top and chop of the black parts and hope that the cuttings strike?

Last edited:
Back