Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Red Hairy Hamata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Red Hairy Hamata?

Anybody grow RHH? Some people say to give them ultra-highland temps while others say they do fine in intermediate conditions. Some say it's for experts only and some say it's one of the most vigorous plants they have. Does anybody have growing tips for this guy?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard anyone call the hairy form a vigorous or very tolerant plant; regular hamata, perhaps, but the hairy, no.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    def not the easiest or most vigorous. mine is small (about an inch) and hasnt shown interest in getting any bigger in the last year under intermediate-highland conditions
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to give mine to someone else it was doing so crummy. It wants consistently very cold at night and very high humidity. If your live sphag looks immaculate and dewy and you're bringing it down to the low 50s (or lower!) at night you should have success. It's definitely not a beginners plant, and I'd say for most it's definitely a controlled-conditions terrarium/greenhouse plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, all of you!

I was thinking of growing them in my greenhouse, but since it likes such cool temps it might be a wise idea to put them in my heli shelves, which regularly get down to 45 in the night and have really high humidity. My only concern is that it might be too bright for them in there. I grow N. rajah and N. aristolochioides in there, and they do just fine. Based on your experience, Nepenthesl0ve, what kind of light does RHH like? My normal hamata likes more dim conditions, but since RHH is not a form of true hamata, I don't know.
    Last edited by Nepenthes0260; 02-29-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes0260 View Post
    Thanks for the help, all of you!

I was thinking of growing them in my greenhouse, but since it likes such cool temps it might be a wise idea to put them in my heli shelves, which regularly get down to 45 in the night and have really high humidity. My only concern is that it might be too bright for them in there. I grow N. rajah and N. aristolochioides in there, and they do just fine. Based on your experience, Nepenthesl0ve, what kind of light does RHH like? My normal hamata likes more dim conditions, but since RHH is not a form of true hamata, I don't know.
    A Heli tank would actually be perfect. My rhh's new environment is with a primarily Heli-grower.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah id say the RHH will be quite happy in there, maybe try adjusting it to the brighter light gradually esp if it is coming from lower light levels. also if there is a spot that is a tad less bright in the tank id start it there. all my neps are under fairly low light levels so i really cant use mine as example.
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Yes, I could shade it slightly by placing it under the rim of a heli in a colander (my preferred container for growing helis in). That's what I do for my rajahs since they don't like the intense light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast