What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sanguinea won't produce pitchers

• Thread starter Jhunt
  • Start date
This plant have been growing inside a grow tent most of the time I've had time. The lighting setup inside the tent are a 6 bulb T5HO fixture and a LED fixture. I try to mist the plant daily. The Sundews are growing like crazy so I dont thinking light is the problem. Also my N x Miranda is growing pitchers just fine also.

Would growing media affect the plants ability to produce pitchers? It's growing in mostly peat moss to lessen the amount of water required in the tent. It wasn't producing much pitchers before I changed the peat moss and perlite ratio.

Could watering it with diluted coffee help?

Some leaves are turning yellow. Maybe from the lack of nutrients since it can't eat?
2a31b49ad7386ab9014dbbd38efbffa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This plant have been growing inside a grow tent most of the time I've had time. The lighting setup inside the tent are a 6 bulb T5HO fixture and a LED fixture. I try to mist the plant daily. The Sundews are growing like crazy so I dont thinking light is the problem. Also my N x Miranda is growing pitchers just fine also.

Would growing media affect the plants ability to produce pitchers? It's growing in mostly peat moss to lessen the amount of water required in the tent. It wasn't producing much pitchers before I changed the peat moss and perlite ratio.

Could watering it with diluted coffee help?

Some leaves are turning yellow. Maybe from the lack of nutrients since it can't eat?
2a31b49ad7386ab9014dbbd38efbffa7.jpg

I read your post but... the only time my plants don't pitcher is when they don't get enough light. Does the sanguinea sit in with the sundews still? If so, can you grab a pic of them too? Their color will help figure out the intensity of light to see if that's it...

Otherwise leaf tips browning on plants is usually a sign of too high mineral content water - are you using RO?

I read your post but... the only time my plants don't pitcher is when they don't get enough light. Does the sanguinea sit in with the sundews still? If so, can you grab a pic of them too? Their color will help figure out the intensity of light to see if that's it...

Otherwise leaf tips browning on plants is usually a sign of too high mineral content water - are you using RO?
They both share the same light source. If the lights are bright enough I can out it on my back porch in a semi shaded area if that would help.

The Sundews seem healthy to me. They won't stop producing flowers.
ce435422333bd54a07bee8c8471de887.jpg

Hmmm... yeah. Now it's properly confusing :-))

So, how much are you watering that nep? Does it dry out between waterings? What is it potted in? Do the leaves ever wilt?

Hmmm... yeah. Now it's properly confusing :-))

So, how much are you watering that nep? Does it dry out between waterings? What is it potted in? Do the leaves ever wilt?
I water every 3 to 4 days once I notice the weight starts to get lighter. I dont let it dry out between. Should I?

It's mixed in 90% peat moss and 10% perlite. I tried to give it a media that wouldn't require too frequent watering.

Should I change the mixture to something with more perlite?

I never noticed wilting.

Last edited:
Stop misting the plant and let it acclimate to your conditions (because misting mostly just causes local severe humidity swings and temperature shocks, and in an enclosed environment it's especially unnecessary and will invite infection), and with the yellowing leaves I would suspect it's not happy with the heavy peat soil. Make it more airy (most people use sphagnum moss, not peat, as a primary mix; if you need to use peat make it more a 60% perlite 40% peat mix) and keep it moist, never wet and never dry. Don't try to feed without pitchers present.
Also, depending on the angle and distance the plant sits at compared to the light, it may not be receiving the same level as the Drosera shown there.

Stop misting the plant and let it acclimate to your conditions (because misting mostly just causes local severe humidity swings and temperature shocks, and in an enclosed environment it's especially unnecessary and will invite infection), and with the yellowing leaves I would suspect it's not happy with the heavy peat soil. Make it more airy (most people use sphagnum moss, not peat, as a primary mix; if you need to use peat make it more a 60% perlite 40% peat mix) and keep it moist, never wet and never dry. Don't try to feed without pitchers present.
Also, depending on the angle and distance the plant sits at compared to the light, it may not be receiving the same level as the Drosera shown there.
Thank you for the advice. I'll change out the growing media tomorrow.

I will also stop misting it.

I agree with hcarlton on the light placement towards the Nep in comparison to the light to the Drosera. If the light is over the Drosera and the Nep is hanging beside the light, that means the Drosera are getting much more light than the Nepenthes. If we can see where the Nepenthes normally is with the light and Drosera in the photo as well we can better assess that.

Here is where it normally hangs from. Once things warm up outside I can move the Sundews and hang the Nepenthes closer to the light.

I might be able to hang the Nepenthes outside out of direct sunlight too if that would work better.
cb55d37ca18e06aea6c584d5b1089a1d.jpg

I swapped out the media today. I thought I had perlite, but it seemed like it was 100% peat. I wasn't able to get long sphagnum moss due to stores being closed so I used what I had on hand. I mixed in perlite with peat. Hopefully this will help.
dffd5c836892e50e8fa489b00f3d5128.jpg
4759ea8d55ed6f0584debe65ba23a2cd.jpg

With artificial lights that extra foot of distance is a lot of light lost to the plant, and the sundews above are also partly shading it. That is probably one factor.

Back