What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overgrown plant?

• Thread starter gt5807
  • Start date
Totally new to carnivorous plants, but this one has exploded from a few leaves to overflowing. I'd like to keep it as a windowsill plant - should I prune off the trailing vine?

An identification would also be welcome - I assume it's some highly tolerant hybrid since it's done so well.

9c506e11a05eff63acfd3d1e6dca0b2a.jpg
13c23fa849a42e8fd10c1c5016698b09.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely a ventrata. You don't have to cut it if you don't want too. It's all up to your personal preferences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you give it something to climb, it will climb. Or you could cut off some of the vines and root the cuttings making new plants. Do what you'd like! :D

Definitely a N x 'Ventrata', which they believe to be N (alata x [alata x ventricosa]). Yes, you can prune off the vine to make it smaller. You can also use the vine to make cuttings.

It's not an alata hybrid at all, nor a backcross, but graciliflora x ventricosa (it's also female, basically sterile, and will grow about anywhere). If you prune the longest vine, be aware that will simply make the rest of the growth points grow faster and they will eventually vine as well. Nepenthes are lianas, and while judicious pruning can keep plants like this one that will tolerate it very well contained, their natural habit is making long, woody vines.
The width of the leaves it has right now though are a signal that it would probably benefit from more light; this will also boost pitcher production, size, and their color.

Thank you all for the advice! Just got some rooting hormone today and will be pruning it soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back