What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland neps in lowland conditions

• Thread starter liua
  • Start date
Because of where I live, I have hot lowland summers and the winters are too cold for lowlanders. My summer temps are usually about 36C (97F), and the summer nights are about 27C (81F). I want to give a highland nep a try, but I don't want to buy a cooling setup. I heard that ventricosas and boschiana can survive those temps, and so do veitchii crosses. What nep should I choose?

How cold are the winters? If I were you I would tray ventrata, they're pretty much indestructible.

Yeah, ventrata would do just fine there, but ventratas are more intermediate.

Those temps are really hot for highlanders. I don't think any HL neps would thrive, but maybe some really easy, adaptable species such as N. ceciliae could survive.

My winters lows are around 14c, daytime temps are around 18c. Very rarely to the temps go below 9c(48f), and sometimes summer highs are around 38C (100f), but only a couple days in a year.

Daytime temperatures in the 90's and especially upper 90's for any prolonged time, and in the 80's at night, will kill just about any actual highland plant. Tolerant intermediate plants may struggle a while as well, as only ultra-lowlanders actually love conditions like that. Unless you can artificially modulate the temperatures you will need to stick with lowland plants or the hybrids that as mentioned above can take just about anything.

What about hybrids involving maxima or ventricosa? Will they be able to survive the 2-3 month period of LL conditions?

Back