What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers not opening??

Hey guys so my little pitcher plant is really confusing me. It has started trying to grow 2 pitchers & the bottoms of them are forming but the top isnt opening?? Its brown and just like it didnt form, so they are just turning into little green balloons.

My big pitcher plant is growing leaves like crazy but no pitchers, however it has also grown 2 whole new shoots & they are producing baby pitchers just fine.

Both plants are in the exact same pot, with basically the same soil mixture. I dont know exact measurements but I made a nice light airy mix of Peat moss, Sphagnum moss, sand & Perlite. They both sit in the same window & get 1-2 hours of direct sunlight then indirect sunlight the rest of the day.

My big pitcher plant seems to be loving life, and the little guy is trying, is this just a random freak accident or is there something I need to change?? Will they open up eventually? They are filling with fluid & making those lovely little fans on the outside. Just no lids. Any and all comments or suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated!
2b4a0533cda0b9938fe9fca0e328a799.jpg
4030530b8eaac3d5def3e03f8d5f6606.jpg
bf4edd45f4e027416a95256f83bd14a6.jpg
f15413abde90dc9cee5f2614c87941a8.jpg
ba2c651b3e6ee01d421748eeb0583d9e.jpg
eed4b88b5bcf91ba769a9fd9658356e1.jpg
8e4e31993dcb9ad0af6aeafdee8cfe53.jpg
64ffd27e81e8a84f03eae6773a82b36d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

This hasn't happened to me before, but I think if there is a sudden change in the environment such as temperature or humidity, pitcher plants sometimes throws out funny pitchers. It could also be the amount of sunlight it is receiving. 4 hours of direct sunlight should be enough. If the conditions are right, the next pitcher should be normal.

A lot of things can cause issues like this, it could be a fluke or could be related to conditional fluctuations, a humidity this particular plant doesn't like, not enough light (they can take a lot), or some sort of damage to the tip of the pitcher bud.

This hasn't happened to me before, but I think if there is a sudden change in the environment such as temperature or humidity, pitcher plants sometimes throws out funny pitchers. It could also be the amount of sunlight it is receiving. 4 hours of direct sunlight should be enough. If the conditions are right, the next pitcher should be normal.

This has never happened to me before either XD nothing really has changed aside from the seasons, My apartment isn't very humid because i keep the sliding glass door open most of the time & the fans on. It does get pretty warm in here, However I live in BC Canada, So it shouldn't be too warm for a tropical plant?? I think the hottest my apartment has gotten is 29C. The thing that confuses me the most is that my bigger plants new basal shoots are growing perfectly normal tiny pitchers. There's virtually no difference between the two of them (Soil, Pot, Lighting, Watering) And I think i shorted myself a little bit on the timing, they probably do get closer to 4 hours of direct sunlight in the morning as my apartment is facing the ocean & That's where the sun comes up, So from sunrise until the sun hits the roof of the building they are getting direct light. (Which now that i think about it is probably closer to 4 hours)

A lot of things can cause issues like this, it could be a fluke or could be related to conditional fluctuations, a humidity this particular plant doesn't like, not enough light (they can take a lot), or some sort of damage to the tip of the pitcher bud.

Thank's for the response! There hasn't been any really drastic fluctuations or changes to their way of life aside from the seasons changing, It doesn't look like the tops are really damaged, aside from being brown & Not forming, maybe they got dried out or weren't getting nutrients?? I'm not too sure.I've only owned pitcher plants for about 2 years now, and i've always had normal fully formed pitchers, there hasn't really been any changes so I have no clue what caused this plant to throw out these wonky pitchers, I'm hoping just a fluke because living by the ocean I get a lot of flies sneaking into my apartment & My bigger plants tiny little pitchers are too small even for fruit flies XD Which is also another reason i'm so confused, the other one has been doing just fine & there's virtually no difference between the two plants. They both went dormant for the winter, stopped producing pitchers & just grew their leaves, now that its summer they are starting to try to make pitchers again. I payed a little closer attention to how much direct sunlight they are getting & Its probably closer to 4 hours a day as they sit i front of my sliding glass door & it faces the ocean, so the sun comes up over the ocean & They sit in direct light until it reaches the roof of the apartment. I'm not too sure what i should change to make it happier, or if i should just wait until it makes another pitcher & see if its a fluke or if im doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Nepenthes do not ever go dormant. If one is pitchering fine, the other not, if they are the exact same clone of plant then there's something one is getting (or not getting) that is absent in the other. I notice first off looking at the pictures again: get rid of the peat, put them in just a sphagnum mix, generally peat is far too dense and soggy and they will rot their roots in it unless watering is perfectly managed (and in the pictures the soil does look way too dense). Water may be part of the problem too depending on source; if it's not distilled or otherwise very low TDS mineral build-up may trigger aborted pitchers.

Back