What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes species wanted+ advice needed

yeah but I'm still confused... each one has a different point of view, and I really don't know what to do. I'll be grateful if you discuss it and then come with all of the points you have. thanks

Last edited:
You can grow whatever you're willing to invest in. You're not going to get a definitive answer from us, because we aren't you and do not grow in your climate. You need to do that last bit of research yourself. You can grow lowlanders and intermediates if you're willing to provide heat during the winter and you can grow highlanders if you can provide cooling during the summer. I'll just say providing cooling is much more expensive than providing heat. Figure out what your yearly conditions are going to be and then you should know what plants you can grow. You don't need us to outline the specific growing conditions of each species on your list, that information is already available online.

ok. I'll try to do whatever I can but I can not guarantee that I'll eventually figure it out. if I don't understand something, can I ask here? thanks.

well, here is the final list of species I want and can afford. based on the climate here, which ones can grow here?
nepenthes northiana
nepenthes ampullaria
nepenthes clipeata
nepenthes peltata
nepenthes rafflesiana
nepenthes truncata
nepenthes veitchii
nepenthes burbidgeae
nepenthes eymae
nepenthes palawanensis
nepenthes pitopangii
nepenthes stenophylla
nepenthes tenuis
nepenthes vogelii

Last edited:
these are the temps, based on the website which you shared:ampullaria: day 23-33
night 13-23
northiana: day 31-33
night 21-23
clipeata: day 29-30
night 19-20
peltata: day 25-29
night 15-19
rafflesiana: day 27-33
night 17-23
truncata: day 26-33
night 16-23
veitchii: day 25-33
night 15-23
burbidgeae: day 24-27
night 14-17
eymae: day 23-28
night 13-18
palawanensis: day 27-28
night 17-18
pitopangii: day 24-26
night 14-16
stenophylla: day 20-29
night 10-19
tenuis: day 27-28
night 17-18
vogelii: day 26-28
night 16-18
fusca: day 21-32
night 11-22
I was quite surprised, because you said that the lowlands don't necessarily need a decent temperature drop. I have seen in many discussions that many of the species can adapt to lower humidity. which ones of the list will adapt the easiest to lower humidity? or temps? because I can build something small to provide humidity.

Last edited:
I would recommend ampullaria, truncata, and maybe veitchii. They are pretty adaptable and easy.

bicalcarata is also an option, it's cool

Last edited:
Bical wants consistently warm and humid conditions. In Israel you'd need an enclosure to achieve that however, bical grows very large, meaning it will outgrow most enclosures.

what do you think about the other species on the list? and will the lowlands actually require a 10 degree drop?

I really want to know which one to buy because I'm really thrilled to start:) by the way, I want to thank everybody who,kindly answered and tried to help, and you did! I think I'm quite close to decide but I don't want to decide by myself because I might decide wrongly and lose a lot of money...

If you don’t want to lose a lot of money I would see if anyone is selling a ventrata. They’re pretty much indestructible and I highly doubt that it would not do good in your location.

haha I set the limit in 100 dollars. I do know how to grow other plants- tropicals too. so I can take a challenge, as long as the conditions required won't be very hard to provide, like highlands or ultra highlands.

- - - Updated - - -

I grow such plants as coffee, cherry of rio grande, cinnamon, curry, peppino melon and Pakistani Mulberry

At 100 dollars you really don't have that much money to work with after shipping. I'd just go with truncata, veitchii, and maybe a ventricosa.

Whatever website that you were using to generate that temperature, most likely it's not temperature for that specific nepenthes. Probably it's general estimation based on altitudes RANGE. Also, anywhere at outdoor, night temperature are always lower than day temperature. At lowland, while lower than day temperature, it still warm at night and lowland nepenthes thrive in warm night .
So, lowland nepenthes does need temperature differences, but negligible, 2-3 degree are enough, and warm night for best (+20C)

But its also depends on species. Clipeata, while it's categorized as lowland, they grow at near vertical cliff at small mountain. So they need cooler night temperature than other lowland for best. They're very slow at warmer night. They're best grown at intermediate or semi highland.

And don't forget that plenty lowland nepenthes need high humidity.

ok, thanks. I think I'll only start with truncata, because it's more colorful than the veitchii lowland. do you have any recommendations for vendors?

You need to purchase the required import documents to import from BCP.

I have no idea what permits cost in Israel, that's something you need to ask your local government office.

so do you have any recommendations for vendors who are quite cheap, have the rare and less rare stuff and won't require it?

Back