What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes species wanted+ advice needed

I don't really know what a custom encloser is. can you explain about it? recommend any places to buy it from? recommended sizes? growing styles? etc.

I don't really know what a custom encloser is. can you explain about it? recommend any places to buy it from? recommended sizes? growing styles? etc.

It's just any enclosure that you build yourself. At its most basic you can just drape polyfilm over a shelving rack. Look up indoor growing tents and homemade enclosures to get more specifics.

which sizes would you recommend for the giants I want? and you mean I can just put it over a shelf? didn't completely understand what you said... sorry

Some thoughts:

- Grow outdoors or in a breezy balcony. The plants you want will outgrow terrariums fast - you'll end up air conditioning a room or a good part of it and then heating it a lot with lights and then paying electricity bills.

- For a fraction of that cost, you could set up a misting system to keep your plants cool AND give humidity if you set up in an area with already good light and ventilation.

I live near Bombay, which is pretty hot for most of the year and am able to grow most plants other than the very finicky ones. They take a bit of time to acclimatize, but given steady conditions, they do acclimatize and start pitchering too eventually.

If you want plants that MUST have cold nights, you may have no alternative but to use a cool terrarium + lights + something to add humidity back. I don't do this, so can't describe what is involved. But I think you will need to use extensive automation to give consistent conditions reliably or you risk massive losses every time you are out of town, etc.

Final thought: This is going to get expensive. No matter how good the conditions you give, the plants you want are expensive and you will inevitably also kill some (or a lot) before you have things figured out. Welcome to the addiction.

But it is not impossible.

I saw nepenthes attenboroughii available. will it be able to grow outside? I have heard that it's highland but can grow as intermediate. is it correct? and if so, if I set a misting system, will it be able grow oustside? I don't have much light in the balcony. how much light does this speciesdemand? do you have some more special advice for growing this specific species? is it hard to grow it?
thank you.

Attenboroughii is a bad choice for a first nepenthes. It doesn't grow well under low humidity. It is also a high light species. It grows in exposed grasslands in the wild.

ok. I've made a list out of all of the species I like. it's long, but it was hard to decide ��
extreme lowland:
nepenthes insignis
nepenthes northiana
nepenthes sumatrana
lowland:
nepenthes ampullaria
nepenthes clipeata
nepenthes eustachya
nepenthes mapuluensis
nepenthes peltata
nepenthes rafflesiana
nepenthes truncata
nepenthes veitchii
intermediate:
nepenthes burbidgeae
nepenthes epiphytica
nepenthes eymae
nepenthes hamiguitanensis
nepenthes klossii
nepenthes mollis
nepenthes palawanensis
nepenthes pitopangii
nepenthes rigidifolia
nepenthes stenophylla
nepenthes tenuis
nepenthes vogelii
highland:
nepenthes aristolochioides
nepenthes attenboroughii
nepenthes ephippiata
nepenthes hamata
nepenthes hurrelliana
nepenthes jacquelineae
nepenthes jamban
nepenthes lowii
nepenthes macfarlanei
nepenthes nigra
nepenthes rajah
nepenthes spectabilis
ultra highland:
nepenthes dubia
nepenthes edwardsiana
nepenthes lamii
nepenthes macrophylla
nepenthes villosa

if you know my climate here, which ones will grow here from the list?

Outside or inside? I don’t know your climate so could you provide some info? Is it temperate, tropical, heat/ humidity?

Last edited:
temperature differences are about 5-7 degress Celsius between day and night, in summer it's humid and hot here, usually between 28-35 Celsius in august.
humidity is only at night it's 50. it's something like 70-85 in most of the months (not at night).
I want to grow Them outside. I will set a misting system if needed.

Sorry, after browsing through the topic I saw that you live in Tel Aviv. Here’s a list of how the plants I’m selling that I think could grow in your climate
Perfect year round: N. burbidgeae,
Tiny bit of both summer and winter protection: N. platychila x lowii, N. platychila x mollis
Summer protection: N. glabrata, N. spectabilis, N. copelandii x lowii, N. hamata
Winter protection: N. platychila, N(platychila x lowii) x mollis
All this is according to a climate chart I found on google and the hybrid calculator on this websitehttps://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/resources/nepenthes-interactive-guide/

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested in any of them that are not grouped into the perfect year round category I’d recommend checking them on the hybrid calculator yourself, some of them were just a few degrees off. Also if anyone thinks that my estimations are wrong please tell me, I am not an expert on this.

Ireally like burbidgeae. it's a half shaded, north west facing balcony. protected from winds.

How much does the temperature drop at night? Highland plants like a decent temp drop.

I think it’s intermediate/highland.

temperature drop is only between 5-7 Celsius if I'm not wrong (day and night). I like hamata too, but I prefer burbidgeae and don't want to spend too much money.

Last edited:
I’ll find out how much shipping is. USPS is very expensive so I’ll see how much FedEx is. I’ll lower the price down to $70 for the burb.

I’ll find out how much shipping is. USPS is very expensive so I’ll see how much FedEx is. I’ll lower the price down to $70 for the burb.

Before you do that, make sure you have your paperwork in order. All nepenthes are at least CITES 2 so you need the requisite permits, as well as anything specific to Israel.

Back