What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystry nep id?

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
Any guesses what this may be?  I have my guess but I'm not sure.

Nep.jpg
Nepitcher1.jpg
Nepitcher2.jpg

That is huge, is what that is. Did you find that at a nursery?
I would guess either a N. alata or a N. x ventrata. I can't see the pitchers that well.

Joe

sumatrax ventricosa? I've never seen a pitcher with absolutely no wings like that before....It has the pitcher shape of a distillatoria, but that has wings....hmmmmm
confused.gif

I'm pretty sure it's iether alata, or an alata hybrid.

I think I'll agree with Rapture
confused.gif

Het Glenn did you buy that at English Gardens? My plants Leafs look like that.
biggrin.gif

I bought it a English Gardens for $15.00 (a local nursery) they also had larger multi growth piont plants for $24.00 but they didnt look healthy.

My guess was N. alata or some mut from an alata parent. It's not very happy right now do to lack of humidity. It's not pitchering at all! It wasnt too happy when I bought it so things can only improve. I will be buying a mini greenhose at JoAnn ETC. this weekend since it won't fit in my tanks.

Once I get more pitchers maybe I will post some more pictures for a second opinion.

Glenn
smile.gif

Glenn go to CVS they are selling Mini greenhouses for 15 bucks ( 2tier). It is agreat deal. So you took my advice and went to English gardens. You should have went to the one on Coolidge and 14 mile. Best nepenthes there they are pitchering on the spot. Did you see any little nepenthes that were like 10 bucks? This nep my guess is a N. Alata hybrid. Hope it gets better and pitchers.--Phil
biggrin.gif

To me, it looks like a Lowland N. Alata that's been growing under low light. Look at the coloration of the pitchers and leaves, it's been like that for a while.
sad.gif
I'm sure it will get better soon though.
smile.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Mike,

Why do you think it's been under low light? To my eye, the leaves look quite green, and there are lowland N. alata forms that are green(then they range to red or orangish and anywhere between).

Regards,

Joe

English Gardens only sells Lowland mostly. It is very rare to see a highland nep in there.
biggrin.gif

Joe,

Maybe it's just the conditions the picture was taken in, but to me the leaves look like they are a dark green. Although, your right about the different color forms. Glenn may just have a green N. Alata.

Mike
smile.gif

Sorry it is not N. alata.

The leaf margin carries all the way down the petiole to the stem and wraps partly around. N. alata has a distinct petiole and leaf. The peristome is also not at the right angle. It is somewhere halfway between N. alata and N. ventricosa

The pitcher is distinctly highland N. alata with a bigger inflated base coming from N. ventrata.

It looks nice and green. I suspect it has been overfertilized and kept in lower light by unknowing nurseries giving it that lush growth and no pitchers. Higher light would probably also give the pitchers more color although not all N. x Ventrata are red.
Tony

Interesting. I never would have thought of it, but is a darker green an attempt to put more chloroplasts into the leaves so it can catch more light to photosynthesize? I never equated dark green with shady conditions before. Actually, the leaves are so shiny, they look like someone sprayed them with leaf polish, lol(I have seen that product locally).
I have a raff x mirabilis here at work in a eastern window, and the leaves are not nearly that dark, but the pitchers are nicely colored.
You learn stuff everyday, I guess.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for all the comments. After I read them all, I went to the carnivorous plant photo finder web site and looked at the N. ventrata photos. I'm convinced that's what I have.

Its under a 1000 watt hid light. This weekend I will get a mini greenhosue and hopefully it will start pitchering. I'm hoping for some red in the pitchers.

Glenn
smile.gif

Glenn were in Michigan did you buy a 1000 watt grow light. Oh and dos any one know a good plave online to buy replacement Flourisnt tubes. --Phil
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ April 19 2003,02:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Interesting. I never would have thought of it, but is a darker green an attempt to put more chloroplasts into the leaves so it can catch more light to photosynthesize? I never equated dark green with shady conditions before. Actually, the leaves are so shiny, they look like someone sprayed them with leaf polish, lol(I have seen that product locally).
 I have a raff x mirabilis here at work in a eastern window, and the leaves are not nearly that dark, but the pitchers are nicely colored.
 You learn stuff everyday, I guess.

Regards,

Joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The darker green (or rather, different shades of green) just mean the plant is focussing on a different area of the light spectrum. In low light, chloroplast start to die and the plant gets lighter (think grass under the grill syndrom)

I am thinking it is because of the pigment. If glenn has the Nep facing a west fasing window for a long time the pigment wold reflect different color and execpts different virety of colors. When you have a nep under good conditions that it is spoused to be in it will have glazed leafs.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Back