What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The undead Nepenthes

I remember reading of someone saying they had a Nepenthis that they thought was dead but still kept it watered and eventually the thing started new growth. Well I can say for myself that yep it is true. I had a N. coccenia that "gave up the ghost". The thing was dead as far as I could tell, but having read the post I thought I'd keep it watered and see what happened. This thing was all brown without a hint of green. Last night, after about a month and a half or more, I decided it was time to pitch it, but when I grabbed it I noticed a tiny speck of a green bud poking out of the brown stem. I looked closer and found at least three other places new growth was starting.

So if there is anyone out there with a "dead" Nepenthis, be patient and it just may come back.

D. Buck.

I'll keep that in mind. I think I just killed one of my mystery nepenthes (prbly RaffxAmp) bcs I forgot to water it. It has already lost it's pitchers and the new leaves are dying. Things don't look good.

Michael Catalani tells of a similar occurence here.  Nepenthes are tougher than I had thought.

Chris

That was it, that was what I read. I thought it was a forum post, but I was wrong. I can't stress enough that this thing was brown, crispy and dead. It didn't even have any leaves, just a brown forked stem. Now it is showing signs of new life. I think I'll try to get a picture of it.

Don't give up on them.

D. Buck.

i will keep that in mind, my baby nep that nepenthes lover sent to me has 1 leaf green, it is small and all the other leaves have died, its in my terrarium and it is dyeing, maybe itll come back, i surely hope so *crosses fingers*

That is great to know. The amazing power of plants…you have got to love'em.

Travis

I finally scanned the photo, it isn't the best but it shows how dead it looked and the new growth points.  I think there are six in all.

notdead.jpg

D. Buck.

Thats a lot of new points DarthBuck! Soon it might even be better looking then how it did before!

good luch darth! oh yea, i sent your plants today!

Darth, What kind of nep is it? btw, you have 49 posts, one more to be advanced member!

So that is the magic number. Well here it is.
smile.gif
It is a N. coccenia.

D. Buck.

Back