What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Growing Guide

• Thread starter RamPuppy
  • Start date
Hey RamPuppy,
Thanks! I love finding out about new(to me at least) growguides on the net. Neat site!
Cheers,
Chris

No Problem,

I love the fact this guy says it's better to get most of the conditions right, than kill yourself over getting all of them, especially when it's probably near impossible without a green house...

Using his advice, I am now opening up my view of the world as it relates to CP's, I am going to try to acquire a larger plant and put it in my living room in a hanging pot!

The key is to determine which growing factors a particular plant is least capable of adjusting to outside of it's natural habitat. For example if a plant is highly intolerant to temperatures dropping below 65 degrees but can handle wide fluctuations in humidity. It won't matter how careful you are with humidity if your conditions are too cool. The catch is.. each species may be different in the key growing factor/factors needed to keep it healthy.

Tony

Well, my frustration was that as much as I would like to get most of the conditions right, I am in fact living where it's home to several species of pitcher plants and bladderworts. Yet I couldn't get most plants to form pitchers!

Somehow, my only idiot-proof nepenthes is rafflesiana. Others growing easily are mirabilis, alata and ampullaria. And it is not without trying out for a year or two which corner of my apartment(14th storey) suits them best.

Hi Cindy, everyone,
Growing cp in an apartment must be tough! I'll bet you'd have great success using terraria, though.
Best regards,
Chris

Hi Cindy,

If you have some space I would suggest truncata. I have had one of these on my east windowsill for the past couple years and it has gone from 4" across to about 12" now with pitchers about the size of a 16oz soda pop bottle. Pitchers all year long. The other one you should try if you haven't is khasiana. It takes a little while for this one to acclimate but once it is a very tough plant... mine pitchers year round and sits in my west window. Its about 18" tall now with 8" pitchers, leaves about 12" long. Even the hotwater baseboard heating and woodstove going full blast in the basement all winter doesn't seem to bother it.

Tony

Back