What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating Hybrids...

I was wondering how do you creating Hybrids of Neps? Do you use cuttings? I have a N. ventricosa wondering if I could cross it with any other speices of neps.
confused.gif

travis

Errrrrrrrr...... Like any other plant with there flowers.........
smile.gif

When your Ventricosa flowers you need to find someone else with another Nep in flower of the opposite sex of your Ventricosa. Then arrangments are made to exchange pollen. After, (if succesful fertilization) the seeds are divided 50/50 to each person. Hope that helps.
smile.gif

How do you collect pollen...there is just so little in each flower? Use a Q-tip? I could cross pollenate my sundews right? One other question does it matter if it is a female or male nep (pardon me, neps. I need to know
wink.gif
) If so how do you tell the difference?

Thanks a Bunch,
Travis

To gather pollen from a male Nepenthes spike you can simply hold a paper plate or similar under the spike and simply shake it and ripe pollen would fall onto the plate. Then it is ready for use. You could not cross pollenate you sundews with Nepenthes pollen. You could with other sundew however sure!
smile.gif
Just be sure to label the sundew cross if they are different species but if they are the same for an example (Adelae x Adelae) then you just need to remember it is adelae seeds.
The way to tell the gender of a Nepenthes is only when it is capable of producing flowers. A male has stamatic flowers and a female has stigmatic flowers. Males are generally more common in cultivation and females are a quite prize in collections, as they are a little less common.

Thanks, Nep. G. Now practice patience....heheheh. I will soon be the next Mad Scientist *evil giggle* and no one will stop me... *more evil giggles*

travis

Back