What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some pests in my lowland tank...

schloaty

Staff member
DOH! I have these little back things on my n x wrigleyana. They don't seem to be hurting it.... yet. I don't want to take chances. Can anyone reccomend a pesticide that's nep-safe? Thanks.

I've used Sevin and Orthene on my Neps and they don't hurt them at all. Just be careful with spraying that stuff on sundews, since i think that they're more sensitive to the stuff.

Joel

Try and find the water based formulas. They are usually a milky white. They are safer for plants than the oil based. You could also probably use a pyrethroid formula. Always best when using a chemical for the first time to go cautious and treat a portion of a plant first to make sure there are no adverse reactions. Also be careful in a terrarium since the chemicals have no where to go. I don't grow in terrariums but would recommend the plants are removed for treatment then replaced. Any other terrarium folks able to comment on using chemicals in this situation?
Tony

Tony,
Thats a good point about the terrarium...I was actually planning on taking them out of the terrarium and treating them on my back deck....It's been really rainy here lately, so it's quite humid. I figured that would be better than leaving chemicals in the terrarium.
I was also planning on flushing the pot after a couple of hours to wash out everything.

I recently had a mealybug/spidermite/thrip infestation in my 29 gallon aquarium. I have no idea how it happened, most likely from an introduced lowe's nepenthes. But I caught it early and treated it with a huge dose of a systemic insecticide called Disulfoton or Dy-Syston. It was a massacre(for the bugs anyway). Unfortunately, I was unable to open terrarium for a while after the treatment because the insecticide gives off fumes which are poisonous when inhaled.

Here is the first aid information on the bottle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In case of poisoning, have patient lie down and keep quiet. Atropine by injection is antidotal.2-PAM is also antidotal and may be administered, but only inconjunction with Atropine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

For those of you who don't know, Atropine is the antidote for nerve agents and 2-PAM is the antidote for the Atropine.

Mike
smile.gif

Back