What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worms

G

Is it unhealthy for a nepenthes to eat worms? 2/3 of the pitchers I fed worms to died. Should I feed worms to them again?

Any food with a 66% per cent kill rate ought to be discontinued, no matter what wisdom says, even if the plant itself is spelling out "feed me worms" in leafy semaphore, and whispering "feeeeed meeee wormssss" into the breeze whenever you chance by.

What, yours don't talk or spell?

Steve

i feed mine meal worms, the ones that turn into those dark black beetels, they seem to love em, but other people say it kils there pitchers

Meal worms is what I use and they work great, but to give the palnt more nutrients I pull the worm apart a little so the guts are exposed, then the acide and enzymes can attack this and digest the who;le body rather than taking time to eat through the exoskeleton THEN getting to the good parts.

good idea nepG, i will try this
smile.gif

how do you rip em though? with ur fingers?

eww
tounge.gif

I've been feeding them earth worms. Plus, the pitchers aren't that firm. Kind of soft actually.

Stefano, I holw one end with tweezers and then give then a little tug on the other end and the guts come out a little, then toss em in!

Nate, I think earthworms are OK but too much of a good thing can be bad for the pitchers. Try feeding them with a smaller piece of a worm, when you feed them, also do you wait awhile for the newly opened pitchers to harden off before feeding?

I think the pitchers were atleast a week old. But, I think the low humidity of a windowsill tends to make pitchers weaker.

maby that could be true. I would just continue your feeding in smaller doses.

Back