What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes making pitchers, need light or humidity?

I bought a N. coccinea about 3 years ago..it had a few pithers when I bought it, but NONE since!
sad.gif
 not one single pitcher in 3 years! but in that time, the thing has grown like a weed, it is now 3 feet tall and has many growing points..I have even cut it back several times in the last 3 years.

well I naturally assumed all this time that is was not pitchering due to lack of humidity..I had it growing in my bathroom, (best chance for humidity in the house) next to a west window, I thought it was getting enough light, because it was growing just fine, but no pitchers at all..so the problem must be low humidity right?

Wrong! I brought the plant into work 2 months ago..it is now in a VERY bright south window on the 8th floor, nothing blocking the light at all..well guess what! NOW there are lots of BIG pitchers! every new leaf is now pitchering!
which means the problem was the light and NOT the humidity! the humidity in my office building is "normal"..not high at all, the plant is given no extra humidity at all, no terrarium, no misting, nothing,,this variety can be grown as a normal houseplant! no special conditions needed at all..

So if anyone is having problems with a nep not pitchering, try more light! My plant needed the light, not the humidity..
Scot

Verrrrrry interesting....
Query: Did you slowly acclimate it to the lower humidity, or just take the sucker out of the bathroom and to the office? How is it growing (not counting the pitchers)? I have one in my lowland terrarium, with some light, but now I'm not sure it's enough...

I didnt acclimate it at all! just took it from the bathroom, its home of 3 years, out to the car, and 15 minutes later it was in the window at work! in fact, I have never given this plant any special treatment at all!
the humidity is probably not much different..the bathroom wasnt very high in humidity anyway, but yes, on average it is probably LOWER now at the office, but yet the plant is now pitchering!
due only to increased light. humidy is the same or even slightly lower..I havent measured it.

it seems to be growing at the same rate, the only difference is each new leaf is now forming a pitcher, where before the tips would just dry up and die. the pitchers never even began to develope..the actual leaves would always be fine, just the small tendril with the tiny proto-pitcher would dry up..

I will try to post some pictures today or tomorrow!
Scot

Wow, I'm really REALLY impressed! Very very nice plants!!!

Darn it!
The geocities websight is ALWAYS temporarily unavailable!
mad.gif
mad.gif

The plant looks great
smile.gif
. Maybe I should get a coccinea. Anyway, the plant doesn't usualy do so well on a windowsill, as it is a warmth and humidity loving lowlander. But, it has had so much time to adjust to poorer conditions, that it does just as well as a ventricosa, or alata. I guessif you give it enough time, just about any nepenthes can adjust to windowsill conditions. Congrats
smile.gif

Sorry to bring back an old thread but...

I recently added more lighting to my terrarium and my nep started to grow it's first pitcher since I bought it back in the summer.
smile.gif
There have been many new leaves, but none of them produced any pitchers until now.
biggrin.gif

Woohoo! I'm so excited...
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

it fantastic!!!! hmm, I have n.x.ventrata and it dosnt make pitcher but cuttings make beautiful pitchers......wher it the problem???

Back