What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes on the loose!

L

littlebird246

Hello!

I live in coastal Southern CA...I want to get a Nepenthes and I am trying to give it best chances for survival! As I live in a climate that is described as "tropical", would a nepenthes absolutely need to be confined to a terrarium? From what I have read it sounds like "ventricosa" would be a good one to start with. I would like to grow it outside but do you think it's possible?

Thank you!

I think there would be some that should take well to growing outdoors in your climate. The important thing to remember is to acclimate plants slowly. Some other plants to consider besides N. ventricosa that have been in my experience more tolerant to variable, less than ideal growing conditions. N. truncata, N. maxima, N. fusca, N. alata, N. x Ventrata

I would also suggest this website from the perspective of another coastal southern CA hobby grower. Some good culture information as well.Nepenthes Around the House

Tony

Wow! Thanks so much, that is just what I was looking for!
smile.gif

Another Nep. that would grow well outdoors is N.khasiana. These guys are successfully grown outdoors at Cal State University Fullerton by Leo Song. I understand that coastal CA is cool and high in humidity. I would probably not recommend N.truncata, which would probably need more heat, especially in the winter.

Back