What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got a nepenthes! wahoo!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I actually found a very healthy young Nepenthes at Lowe's! I didn't expect to buy one any time soon or I would've gotten it from here but it was pretty healthy and I couldn't resist so I bought it for seven dollars! It's still a baby though; it's 8 or 9 inches around, four inches tall and the pitchers are about one inch each. I was suprised at how healthy it was. They also had S. Flavas but they get too big for me to keep. I got an old-fashioned metal and glass pland mister; it works pretty good.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

flytrapgurl, glad to hear about your first Nep. what kind is it?

actually this should of been posted in the tropical pitcher plant forum. Mod. up and move please

Cool, have fun with it.
I actually find really healthy cp's at my local Lowes, everybody else says that they are always dead.
But here they always die within a week at Home Depot.
John
wink.gif

OOHOOH I just found out what kind it is! Nepenthes Ventricosa!
biggrin.gif

Questions:I know the ground basics of taking care of it, but I don't know any details. How do I keep it warm in the fall and winter? What's the lowest and highest temp. I can keep it in? What's a good way to make a homemade terrarium for it?

P.S. I know it needs sunlight, but, at this time of the year the air is too cold(60-70*F.)to put it outside or even open a window for it. Am I right?

Thanx

flytrap gurl,

Actually, Nepenthes don't need as much sunlight as say, a venus flytrap. It's a misnomer that they all grow on the jungle floor, many enjoy birght clear light.

Put it on a window sill where it will get enough humitidy, keeping it away from the glass enough that it won't touch and get a chill if you live in a really cold area. This way it will get plenty of natural light.

Remember, Nepenthes gererally rot and die on the tray method, water from above, and let the media drain well.
smile.gif

Congrats!

Regarding the tray method, I use it for all of my nepenthes with success. What you need to do is, water from the top of the soil with pure water, until the tray fills to less than an inch. Let the water evaporate over a period of a few days, and when there is no more water in the tray, repeat the process. Ventricosa is an easy highlander( 60-70F), that can also tolerate lowland( 75-85F) conditions, and lower humidity. It typically does well on an east, west, or even south windowsills, were it gets bright light.

Flytrapgurl, i noticed you live on the other coast of the sunshine state. the weather outside will be ok for it to grow in right now. it is still warm out but bring it in as soon as it get really cold out. keep it in a shaded to sunny spot, keep it watered and it will do fine. don't let the soil mix dry out eather. also you might want to mist it once a day also.

Back