What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you propagate by tissue culture?

Hi,
can someone describes to me out i can propagate a nepenthes by tissue culture.
thnx,
Jason
confused.gif

Um, Tissue Culture is a little complex. Not to mention expensive, but if you really want to try it here's a good site that tells you how.
smile.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Thanks for the link Mike, that page makes it sound so easy!
I wish I had the room to try a DIY TC setup.
sad.gif

Lol, thank you for the link. i think i'll never have the time to do something like that.
confused.gif

Jason

Jason, if you're looking to just multiply your Nepenthes, cuttings is very easy and 99% of the time they will root if you use good media and growing environment. If you don't know about doing cuttings from Neps here's what I do:

Take a new green vine (old nep vines turn woody and I haven't been able to get the dormant nodes to take from this section) and divide it into pieces of stem with 3 leaves each. Many people like to cut diagonally "/" instead of straight across "I" to expose greater surface area for rooting.

Cut off any pitchers and cut all the leaves  in half or even down to one quarter their original length. This causes the plant to conserve water and put all it's energy into producing a strong new shoot from a dormant node.

Remove the lower most leaf altogether and make 2 or 3 vertical cuts around the stalk with a razor blade or scalpel. this allows the inner flesh of the stalk easily reach the planting medium and send out roots higher up on the cutting and produces a much sturdier plant.

Next soak your cuttings in 70-80*F water with some plant hormones, products like HormoneX, SuperThrive or even just plain distilled water for about 10 mins or so. This gives the stalk time to soak up plenty of water.

Dip the end with the cut off leaf and 3 cuts into a powdery product called Rootone and shake off the excess.

Now plant the cutting  up to the first remaining half leaf in long fibered sphagnum moss in a 2 1/2" or 4" plastic pot. An entirely new plant will emerge from a dormant node which is located on the stalk between the two half leaves.

Finally water it well and place it in the same conditions your plant was growing in before you took the cuttings. Mist what's left of the leaves and stalk quite often (at least daily) to make sure the plant stays hydrated but I find that letting the sphagnum dry on top seems to cause them to take root alot faster than if the soil is kept as wet as my growing neps. Make sure it never gets too dry or dries completely because when the roots do emerge they will want water but I do purposely let the cuttings soil become dry on top before watering again at least until the cutting makes about 4-6 new leaves then I put the cutting back on the regular watering schedule of once or twice a week and fertilizers.

Hope this helped some!

Back