What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not a huge fan of Nepenthes hybrids, i prefer the individual species but there was two which I couldn't resist. and I got them in the mail today, making my week!

First is Nepenthes burbidgeae X N. edwardsiana:
Nburbxedp703.jpg

This nifty pitcher is 5 cm high on a 16 cm diameter plant.
I do not know if this is crossed with the true N. edwardsiana or N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla. The pitchers are more cylindrical than those of N. macrophylla but there does appear to be a lot of ridges/teeth on the peristome and N. edwardsiana has fewer of these ridges than macrophylla. Of course all could be artifacts from the burbidgeae parentage. It would be awesome if this was simply a spotted edwardsiana with wide burbidgeae leaves!

Next is Nepenthes thorelii X aristolochides
Nthorxaristop703.jpg

The above pitcher is 6.5 cm in height on a plant 18 cm in diameter. reminding me of an elongate darker colored N. aristolochides. I'm hoping the pitchers will remain at least as globose as they are now and becoming even larger and more rounded as the plant matures.

Anybody know anything about these hybrids?

Thanks for any thoughts!
smile.gif

I know that Tony is selling the second one, maybe he could help. NICE PLANTS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Wow! Nepenthes burbidgeae X N. edwardsiana ... Wow!!!

One of those hybrids that might crop up in delierious dreams.

Congratulations
smile.gif

Wish it had come from my nursery but no such luck.
sad.gif

Rob

Rob Cantley says "wow" about a plant I own?  
biggrin.gif

When hybrids are made, which is most trait dominant/influential, Pollen donor or ovary plant? I guess it doesn't matter if I don't know which was which anyway...! Just wondering for future reference I guess.

This is one plant I'm anxious to see make some big pitchers as it's likely to be as close to edwardsiana as I'm gonna get for now.

I have a vivid imagination Josh and can see what that particlar hybrid might turn out like some day.

It doesn't seem, to make any difference which parent was which. I've got several hybrids from very similar despite the seed originating from different different species, if you know what I mean. For example, N. x hookeriana looks much the same whether the pollen donor was N. rafflesiana, or N. ampullaria. Same for N. x trichocarpa and some others.

Thanks Rob! I always wondered whether it made any difference who was who, making one plants genes more dominant than another. Nice to know they will generally be similar either way if/when my species plants ever flower and I get a chance to make some hybrids of my own.

I'm real curious about that N. burbidgeae X N. edwardsiana hybrid. If it is natural (which is pretty unlkely) then one parent is probably true N. edwardsiana (can't be ssp. macrophylla). If it's a horticultural cross then it's more likely to be ssp. macrophylla as there's a lot more of it in cultivation than true N. edwardsiana. Either way, it's great and I want one
smile.gif
Please would you say where you got it (off list if you prefer). Thanks!

The most awsome Nepenthes I ever saw in the wild was N. rajah x burbidgeae. I think that N. burbidgeae is a fabulous species and well, N. edwardsiana must be my other top favourite. Actually, come to think of it, they are all amazing really.

Back