What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my plant today!

Just got my plant! It's a Bical 'Red Flush'. So excited..! It has 3 inch leaves and no pitchers! woot..I get to watch it grow
biggrin.gif
My terrarium has a cool flourecent and a full spectrum....60-90%humidity...changes for some reason..that'll change tomorow with my fogger...I put the little plant up on a shot glass...lol...I guess it'll help with drainage.temp is around 80...I have my green dragon in there to see how it compares with a vft growing outside..I can't wait till it pitchers! Anyone know how long it'll take? I think it already has..or is about to...there are little vines sticking out of the leaves. Oh yea..it's pretty close to the the flourecent lights....like..three inches away. Will this cause burn?

Hi Cerius:

you must be very happy!!. I know how it feels when you get a new baby!!. it is ecstasy for me!

Agustin

They pitcher extremely quickly...mine develops a new pitcher every 7-10 days and they are full grown and ready to eat within a month...

Please give us pics if you can..I want to see the red and check how it compares to mine..

Good luck..I love Bicals!!

wow, congrats to you. I am jealous, I need a bical, they are stunning
smile.gif
Good luck with your new plant
smile.gif

Hi again..I don't have a digital camera..I think you can go to walmart and scan your pictures and make them digital...If I did take a picture though, The plant would only have 4 leaves
tounge.gif
It is making two new pitchers already..and I guess it has already made two and they died...(before I got it) I'll take pics and update this if you guys want me to..(when it pitchers, etc.) I don't think many people have kept a log on neps and shared it with anyone from when the neps were sprouts...
biggrin.gif

I'm setting up a nifty feature to my terrarium.
I will have 1/3 the tank full of distilled water and will have a grate above the water. The bical and other plants will be above the water on the grate. As the water evaporates, it'll condensate on the side walls and on the top. The water will fall and "rain" on my plants daily, but not enough to shock it. maybe like 1 or two drops hourly. The water will go back to the bottom and repeat the process...

Oh yes, and just how do I evaporate the water? The Ultra-Sonic fogger by Exo-Terra...it's awsome! and most definently worth the 30 bucks...I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Does anyone know where I could get a plastic great that can be cut easily..was gunna use boxes...

Plastic "egg crate" is exactly what you are talking about, some home improvement stores sell it. GOOD LUCK, I have heard this done before, supposedly well!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

yuo can buy one of those aquarium heaters , its really helps mist things up and keep yuor planst warm and/or you put a bubbler in too , it shoudl keep it humid and the air circulated .

I really like bicalcarata. Just cross in a little VFT for some jaw motion to go along with those fangs...

MUHAHAHA!

Anyway, mine are recovering from shipping shock. They don't like the mail habitat apparently.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slizarus @ Oct. 02 2003,12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They pitcher extremely quickly...mine develops a new pitcher every 7-10 days and they are full grown and ready to eat within a month...

Please give us pics if you can..I want to see the red and check how it compares to mine..

Good luck..I love Bicals!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
jees! they grow that fast?
confused.gif
? do you think you could tell me what the conditions are in and how you are growing it???

The ultra-sonic fogger is waaay better than a fish heater. It adds like..99.99% humidity..it's practically raining in there right now..I have three inches of water and it's awsome.

EDIT- Not really..puts it to like..80%

Becareful that water droplets on the leaves are able to dry up throughout the day and at night between fogging sessions or else you can be inviting rot, fungus or viral infections by having water sitting in the leaf axials. I suggest placing the fogger on a timer so that the leaves are allowed to dry up before it comes on again.

I do not know how large your aquarium is that you are using but I am doing the egg crate false bottom with PVC pipe (to hold the crate off the floor) and the lighting grid material overtop. I do not use a fogger or a heater, the 1" of water below all my lowland pots is enough by itself to keep the humidity 80%+ at all times with condensation on the glass but not on the leaves. The leaves are simply "sticky" or tacky- as if the plants are sweaty.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stefano1 @ Oct. 02 2003,4:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Slizarus said:
http://www.petflytrap.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]]They pitcher extremely quickly...mine develops a new pitcher every 7-10 days and they are full grown and ready to eat within a month...

Good luck..I love Bicals!!
<span id='postcolor'>
jees! they grow that fast?<!--emo&
confused.gif
? do you think you could tell me what the conditions are in and how you are growing it???[/quote]
I've had it for a month and so far it's developed 3 more pitchers than it had when it started...so maybe 9-12 but yah still pretty fast

Where do you get a timer? I don't really think I need this, because the plant is above the "fog" and just appreciates the humidity..and a few rain drops every few hours...the plant seems to dry up quickly enough though. If I got a timer, what would I set it on? Turn on for an hour, then shut off for an hour to dry?

you can get a timer at a hardware store . your plant may seem happy but if you wait latr it might show problems dues to the onoging fog .

Back