What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers

G

Could I give pollen from different species to one stamen( female flower) each? Meaning, I could have seed of one hybrid, and seed of another hybrid, growing on different flowers on the same flower stalk of a female nepenthes.

that would be hard to keep track of which flowers has what coming from it. i would keep a small tag on each flower to remember what is in it. even if it is possible to do.

Sure you can pollinate different flowers with different pollen. You can get little tags with string from stationery stores to hang on the flower.
T

So on one female plant, I could have ,like , the seeds of ten different hybrids growing?  How cool is that
smile.gif
!  Some day, I'm plan on making a well know cultivar
smile.gif

As most flower spikes on Nepenthes are very large it is more than possible to do 20 different crosses on the one plant . I saw a flower spike with at least that many . It was over 2feet tall , and every few inches there was a tag stuck on it with the cross done below . As it flowers from the bottom up , there is plenty of time to collect pollen from your plants and plan the crosses ahead .

Back