What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes gentle

does anybody now what are the parents of Nep. X Gentle is ?
Best regards Bjørn

Are you sure you spelled it right?
confused.gif
I have a book based on the carnivorous plants from all over tha world and in its hybrid list there is no such thing as a n. x gentle. I even searched in the web and there is no such thing. Who gave it to you anyways?
tounge.gif
Maybe that will help...

I know one of the species is maxima...I had a website for the parents of it but it appears it's not under my favorites any more...maybe I misplaced it under unfavorables  
tounge.gif
Anyhow, here's a link to the hybrid. N. x 'gentle'

They do exist!
wow.gif
Wow! She's a beauty isn't she?
tounge.gif

the parents are maxima and veitchii , very beautiful , very big pitchers , and very east to grow . But i don't know why the called it gentle .

Goldtrap, where did you get that info? It is incorrect. N. maxima crossed with N. veitchii makes N. xTiveyi not N. x gentle.

i got the info from one of the plants cooks sell , lemme check my sg book , yep your correct , but if maxima x veitchii is not gentle then what is it .

goldtrap2690,

Hybrid neps like N.xGentle are very difficult to id the parents because of the variability of crosses.

This plant is sometimes sold by Gubler's etc., and I remember that it originated from a Dutch nursery. One of the parents is mentioned to be maxima "Superba'. Who knows about the other(s)...

NG got the plant in the picture from me. Not sure if it was a trade...do you remember, NG? Anyway, I recognize my writing on the label. The plant came from a tissue culture production company in Florida. This happens to be one of their unknown hybrids that was pretty enough to mass produce, so they did it without securing a registered cultivar name. It is a nice looking plant, but appears to be a smaller growing nepenthes. I have a few around the yard that are retaining small stature. Oz

huh Oz? I unfortunatly have never traded with ya. lol That picture is from Shawn Worst's CP site.

Hey, that looks a lot like one of my "Unnamed N. maxima hybrids" but my plant is bigger than the one in the photo. It's about 16" across/ 5" pitchers a more developed peristome and slightly peltate tendril insertion on the leaves (about 1 cm in from the tip). Mine will only pitcher in high heat terrariums above 85*F during the daytime and it does even better in the summer when the ultra lowland tank (with bottom heat) goes over 95*F during the day. I tried cuttings of this guy in intermediate and highland tanks and it just sulked and put out a leaf every couple months with a blackened tendril. Mine does do a lot better since I let it's pot sit in a tray with an inch of water in it. I let it dry up a few days before refilling. I never do this with neps but it seems to be one of thekeys for this one.
A rather finicky hybrid from my experience if indeed it is the same, mine was sold labeled "Nepenthes" at a garden center. This bugger took me a year to get it pitchering.
mad.gif

Anybody know how big the pitchers will eventually get?

N.G., N. maxima crossed with N. veitchii doesn't necessarily give you N. x Tiveyi. If you cross it yourself, you can call it anything you want.
wink.gif

That looks like a hybrid of N. truncata x N. maxima to me. But I could be wrong. It doesn't look anything like a Tiveyi to me at least.

Hi
Having just brought this while visiting the Hampton Court Flower Show, it was further described as N.fusca x N. maxima. This I believe is correct, as it has the darker pitcher body you get with the N.fusca. And I can compare it with my N. xTiveyi, which looks quite different. Both very nice plants
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Got some interested glances on the train journey home
rolleyes.gif

cheers

bill

Back