What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcurata

do you know how hot they can have and still grow good

my humidity is still at 80% to 95%

thanks

As long as the humidity and air movement are good, temps around 95 during the day and 75- 80 at night wouldn't even bother it in the slightest.

What temps are you hitting day/night
T

thanks
in the greenhouse it 92 at the hottest and 60 at night

what the hottest you let your highland nepenths get

would 80 be to hot in the day if it cools down to 50 an night

Bicals? I have had mine up to 97 in the growchamber with no ill effects. I wouldn't let it get hotter than 100 though. and colder than 50. Highland would do best with 70-90 day and 60-50 at night.

My bical stays in a terrarium 70% humidity, 70-80*F, is that ok?
confused.gif
Thanks!!
smile.gif

Humidity should be higher, Bical loves extremly high humidity. I would say 75% at a minimum! I have mine at 85% and high at all times. Temperature sounds fine but raise your humidity. Bical will not pitcher without sufficent humidity. It may grow, but probably will not pitcher well.

lithopsman

I think 70% RH is fine for bicalcarata. I've had my plants outside with RH less than that and they're all doing fine, and making nice colored pitchers too. Higher than 70% is good too, but you risk having a fungi outbreak if you don't have good air circulation. I think that your temps should be a little higher though, staying mostly in the mid 80s. All in all though, I think that you have a good setup there, so if the plant is doing alright, don't change a thing.

Jœl

Just wanted you all to know I just got a bical and an amp from phil and jeff.

My old bical that I bought from Dean Cook just never did do well, I don't know if it was just shipping shock or what, but the thing just barely held on for a few months then croaked...

the new one from phil and jeff is doing awesome...

Bicalcarata is one of my favorites (next to hamata and inermis). Having only had mine since June I must say it's a very fast and easy grower in the right conditions. The orchid greenhouse I got it from  (who can grow neps-their highlanders do wonderful) the leaf edges were burned and it only had one drying pitcher. Keeping it in my 75 gallon lowland tank (87-92*F day and 70-75*F at night with a humidity of 90% + humidity) since I got it it has put out 4 new 9" leaves 3 of which have awesome blood red 4" pitchers. I have it in a nearly sealed terrarium with 1" of water beneath a false bottom made of eggcrate this keeps the humidity extremely high and is lit by 240 watts of flourescent lighting (6x 40 watt tubes).

N. bicalcarata is an awesome plant.  I've found that it does very well with temps no lower
than 20 C, and daytime highs up to 37 C.  Humidity can fluctuate quite a bit, yet most clones
will generally pitcher well.  Average humidity of 70% or more is adequate.

Note, however, that this species will become very large.  It is not uncommon for well-grown
specimens to reach 1.5 to 1.8 m diameter.  Therefore, growing one of these in an aquarium
will not be possible forever!  One of my plants grew from the size of a fifty-cent piece to
about 1.5 m across in four years, So, take my advice and plan ahead!

Finally, as bicals get larger, they will need to be repotted.  Watch out for this, as signs of stress
under high temperatures are usually a good indication that your plant needs a larger volume in
which to spread its roots.  Larger specimens will need pots in the range of 30 to 40 cm
in diameter.

My Bicalcarata "Red" is already in a 30cm by 30cm pot! Hehe, i am very proud of it, just waiting for it to pitcher, coming nicely!
smile.gif
The whole plant is easily 60cm in diameter. pitcher should be the size of a orange or tennis ball.
smile.gif

Hot in.....so hot in herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre! Sorry couldnt resist lol.
smile.gif

Oh yeah, I know bicals are monsters, several of my lowlanders are already pushing the glass lid off my 75 gallon (a paultry 22" high). I'm going to buy the below shower stall to grow my lowlanders

shower.jpg

In this they will have a good deal of room and be allowed to climb for apx 2 meters. I think this should work out well.

Well, my bical has one 1" pitcher, and when I visited Phil and Jeff a couple of weeks ago, it was only 3 quarters of an inch... It's also starting to produce a second on a dark green and *SHINY* leaf... very beautiful, it's in a naturalistic terrarium behind one of those half logs for reptiles... It looks like it's growing out of a tree stump. The pitcher is reaching for the ground near(ish) my n. gracilis (baby) which is next to a n. raff, blah, blah, blah... Anyways, that ground pitcher will get to be frightfully
smile.gif

tounge.gif

wow.gif

biggrin.gif
 big!
smile.gif

Laters!!
smile.gif

Back