What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes 'velvet'

I can not seem to find a listing at the CP database of this hybrid and according to tropiflora.com's images on their sales page I have this hybrid and not "Mixta" as presumed. Does anyone know what plants the "Velvet" hybrid is made from?

Sword, i did a seach on the web and i also looked at the name tag on my Velvet and it just say's velvet on it. it didn't give the parents of the plant name on the tag. i also got this plant from tropiflora which is only 20 mins. drive from me. i will call them tomorrow if you would like to find out this info.

Mine may or may not be from Tropiflora, do they sell plants with photo ID tags on them? Mine came with a tag which said "Nepenthes Coccinea" but I know it certainly is not a Coccinea as I already have several "Coccinea-related-hybrids" but only one is actually a real Coccinea.
I was just looking at their site and they have two Neps listed as Mixta and Velvet. Going by the photos on their site mine is the one they have marked as Nepenthes Velvet cos it has thick rounded leaves with long yellow and red spotted bannana shaped pitchers. It looks like a hybrid between a Phalenopsis and Nepenthes!
wink.gif

Yes, if youre gonna call them anyway then I'd love to know if they know what plants are involved in this hybrid. I'm gonna take a guess and say either N. alata x N. maxima or N. alata x N. northiana.

sword, if i remember correctly the cocc. was the only one that had a picture i.d. tag on it. all the rest are the white tags that have type names of the plants. when i was there for there sale this yr. i bought one of each kind except for cocc. i already had one. when i checked the tags on them to tell ya the parents name of it there was none.they all had the parent plants labled on it except for velvet. i was dumb founded that it wasn't marked like the rest. so when i call and if they know. i will pass it on regardless

The tag on mine said Coccinea and have a photo and the back of the tag had very basic growing instructions in three languages; German, English and Dutch if I remember correctly. But no mention of the species which make up Coccinea so maybe it's not from them.

i didnt get the cocc. from them so mine doesn't have tags on them yet.

Nepenthes x 'Velvet' is an Unknown hybrid that Doug Osman came across in Florida. He told me that it probably involves a cross with N fusca, but that's all that he knows.

Jœl

ok from what i found out is that it is a hybrid from holland out of tissue culture from a place called corbak. the parents plants are unknown. that is all i have found out so far.

It seems like all the hybrids from Holland are of unkown parentage
confused.gif

Involving N. fusca? Hmm... that could explain the long skinny pitchers. Maybe I'll try a cutting in the highland tank and see what happens!

Sounds like the Dutch (who are very meticulous in their aquarium plant hobby going as far as desiging tank plantings with protractors, the rule of 5:3 "golden intersection/visual center", 3rds and all that...) maybe aren't so in their other plant hobbies! I contacted a dutch firm who sells TC flats of Nepenthes 'Velvet' but the email was returned due to their server being shut down...

it seems everything nep hybrid from holland is unknown , same thing with x gentle , i wonder why , probably the propagators get mixed up with the foreighn languages
tounge.gif

I think it more has to do with who is running these places. The paid workers are likely not Nep fanatics like us who record every detail of our plants. Their focus is creating easy growing hybrids that are marketable to the impulse purchasers in the tropical plant gardening market.
Independent greenhouses who propagate specific plants such as Neps (or orchids or anything else) and hobbyists who create hybrids generally do far better record keeping. Secrecy of their hybrid program may also be part of the lack of information on their plants.
The two name Latin identification system is the same worldwide and is used as the standard mode of identification for plants, fish, mammals, reptiles... all life on earth. When reffered to in it's two name title, the object in question will be the same anywhere in the world. However, common names applied to things such as "crimson pitcher plant" or "jewled lizard" mean different things depending upon the region in the world you are in.

These plants from Holland are not named according to "the rules", but most Nepenthes crosses aren't either. The plants coming from these large TC nurseries are intended to be sold in garden centers around the world and are easy growers under a wide range of conditions. I don't know what 'Velvet' looks like, but it is probably one or the other of two choices: the N. 'Corn.bak' plant, which appears to be a cross of N. maxima x N. fusca, or @. the N. 'Miranda' plant which appears to be a Mixta hybrid, possibly maxima x mixta.
Remember, these tc Neps are produced from seed. Neps cannot be mericloned like orchids, at least not on a large scale, so they are all the result of cross pollination. The N. coccinea is probably tissue cultured from seed produced by crossing a male N. coccinea onto a female coccinea. Thousands of identical clones are produced from one seed. Usually the plants are tested before they are put out into the marketplace, and these Dutch produced hybrids are beautiful and vigorous. I find they produce more ground shoots than average, and thrive in a wide range of conditions.
Trent

Back