What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few questions I'm hoping to have answered...

I want to gat an N. lowii to add to my collection. Right now, I am able to, by a combination of ice and airconditioning vent blowing on my greenhouse, get the temperature in my greenhouse to hover around 55 deg F. (It's a small greenhouse in my room- yes I am crazzzzy about neps)
smile.gif

-Is 55 deg F a good temperature for lowii.

For my current highland expiriment I am growing N. ramispina and N. x judith finn H/L in the same greenhouse. When daylight comes, I move my plants outside under the shade of a large patio umbrella.

-Would an N. lowii be able to take the daytime temps in Florida (in the shade)? That seems to be working so far for my other highlanders. I've had my ramispina for abou 3/4 of a year and after several bird attacks
sad.gif
, and after the hanging pot fell upsidedown on my plant
sad.gif
sad.gif
, it has produced three healthy pitchers and seems to be growing fine now (switching between the greenhouse at night and outside in the daytime). My judith finn is also growing well.
smile.gif

I'ts the night time temps that matter most right?
confused.gif

Also, I'd love to hear suggestions about any highlanders that would do really well in that situation (especially really interesting ones). I have khasiana & maxima already.
smile.gif

I am going to try to get some more highlanders when christmas comes around (the purpose of this post). I am planning on getting 2-4 neps (one of those hopefuly being an N. lowii)

Thanks in advance, Hamata
alien.gif

sounds like it should be ok most of the time. The night temps are sufficient but make sure it is humid at night, a quick misting on the way to bed goes a long way. I would keep it inside on the really hot days.

curious, how does your khasiana do under those conditions, if mine grew any slower it would be frozen in time.

joe

joseph,

The N. ramispina & the N. judith finn H/L are the ones I am moving between the greenhouse and outside.

My khasiana I keep oustide at all times- khasiana is one of the few highlanders that tolerates lowland conditions. I got it maybe about six months ago. At that time it was just several inches wide. Now the leafspan is about a foot wide. The plant however, (grown from seed) had been grown outside all its life in lowlander temps. You might try expirimenting with putting yours in lowlander conditiond or maybe intermediate.

Regards, Hamata

PS allow me to go a step further: would an N. raja do well in the same situation?
smile.gif

Yes the night time temperature is more important although excessively hot during the day would stress them also. What are the daytime temps?

Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What are the daytime temps?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The daytime temps stay pretty constant. Most of the year it stays between 75-85+ F(closer to 85 than 75). Summer is more like 80-95+ F and winter it stays closer to 75 than 85 and sometimes it gets down to the upper 60s.

Just like joseph suggested, I will leave the plants inside when it's really hot. Also, the plants are always in high humidity. I mist them several times a day when they're outside, and I mist them When I bring them inside (where the humidity stays at 100%).

Hamata

Keeping the day time temps out of the 90 range especially for Ultrahighland and most highland plants. They will most likley show stress and/or wilting. I have my greenhouse set to cool at around 83F. I know this is not very practical in Florida unless you have an evaporative cooler or other serious cooling equipment! I would suggest a big box fan or table fan to circulate air around the plants. If possible in your mini-greenhouse maybe mount a small desk fan (just remove the bottom platform) and then you can plug it in and switch the speed (if there is a control on it) to your desirement. Might wanna go for 60% shading and higher if temps can hit 95F.

Just to clarify...
My mini greenhouse is inside my house. When I put the highlanders outside, they are in open air under a big green patio umbrella (no greenhouse outside, but the umbrella gives good shading).

Also, it does get hotter than 90 F in Florida, but on those days, I keep my plants inside. The question is, how many days would a highlander go without light and not be stressed?
Maybe I'll get a light and put in my greenhouse inside. It is made out of plastic, so i'll have to get one that doesn't make to much heat.

Hamata

Hi,

from my experience N. lowii won't like low humidity conditions at all. The plant will grow but won't pitcher. Rob Cantley (borneo) posted some very good information concerning the cultivation of N. lowii some time ago - try the search feature.

I also would recommend a more automated type of setup. Taking the plants in and out every day might spoil your fun growing these plants in the long run.

Joachim

Good point Joachim! I have noticed with mine that a drop in daytime humidity seems to "perk" it up. Of course I am giving it natural sun and no artifical light can beat that!

As a general rule hamata, if the plants are responding posively then you can assume you are doing something right. I thought my N. hamata would turn into a dust ball in the greenhouse, but my humidifying equipment keeps it growing, and bigger.....I guess the hygrometer is screwed up. I use hamata as a environmental indicator, if it is happy anything else should be.

The humidity here in Florida stays high most of the year and plus, I mist them several times a day when they're out.

Nepenthes gracilis, I am expecting an N. hamata soon. Mainly because they look so cool and because they can tolerate more heat as long as the humidity is high. What temps do you keep yours in?
confused.gif

Anyways, I'll probably stick to highlanders that tolerate warmth in the daytime better and forgo getting an N. lowii until I have a better highlander setup.
sad.gif

Still waiting for my hamata, hamata
smile.gif

Hi hamata

I know N. hamata is a very desirable plant! It can do good in intermediate conditions for a while (i grew it like that for about 3 months in the summer) It did fine but does great in ultrahighland/highland conditions. Mine recieves around 50F at night (10C) But that's if night time temps get that low. The past few nights have been mild and it has gotten around 60F. At some point I may have to leave the swamp cooler vent open at night!

N. hamata 6 inch pot, 8-9 inch plant with 3-4 inch tall pitchers
hamata1.JPG

hamata, you may have trouble creating a good highland setup since evaporative cooling is out of the question. That leaves A/C or ice cubes, or perhaps the converted chest freezer. Actually since you are bringing them inside every night you could just stick them in the fridge next to the milk.
smile.gif

joe

When I bring the plants in and put them in the greenhouse, they have a big tuperware of ice on oposing sides with the AC blowing right down on the greenhouse. It gets to about 55 F. at night.

Hamata

PS awsome hamata, nepenthes gracilis

If it gets to 55F at night good for you! The minimum good growing range for highlanders is usually 60F but some growers and plants will get away with 65F. Thanks for the kind comment!
smile.gif
My N. hamata is a weed, all I think of when I see it is the Energizer bunny....it keeps growing and growing and growing and growing............:p

Wow, I can't wait to get my N. hamata 'energizer bunny'

Hamata

Well then, what did you mean by "better" highland setup? Sounds like you've got it covered for any highland.

joe

Back