What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new highland-ultra highland grow chamber

I just finished setting up a highland-ultra highland grow chamber using a freezer as the terrarium (like in the March issue of the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter by our very own Dr. Jeff Shafer)

Here is a photo of it
2003-07-15%20002.jpg

Very cool, Jeremiah! What is your temperature range in that thing, and how do you light it? Is all the light provided by fluorescents along the back? Do the ones up front get enough light?

Capslock

Very Cool Jeremiah!! I don't get the CPN, so could you get a pic of the grow chamber from a distance away? I want to see how ya did it!!! I live in Florida and still have to figure out a way to grow highlanders before I get some!

Capslock
"What is your temperature range in that thing..."
About 75F in the day and 48F to 50F night

"...and how do you light it?"
4, 4 foot 40 watt fluorescents lights.

"Is all the light provided by fluorescents along the back?"
No it is on the top.

"Do the ones up front get enough light?"
Yeah I just moved the lights to get a better photo.

SnowyFalcon
"...could you get a pic of the grow chamber from a distance away?"
Well to be honest for a distance it just looks like a freezer with a few lights on top.

I will just try to tell you have I did it.

First I got an old chest freezer drilled a small hole in the side. Then I put a cooler thermostat on the inside of the freezer and thread the electrical wire though the small hole. I used some type of ring to keep it water tight. I had to change a few thing to make it work (like the thermostat did not have something I could just plug the freezer into) I then put the freezer on a timer so it will only come on for a half an hour in the day but then will cool it to 50F in the night. I have all the light on a 14 hour photoperiod.

Hope that helps if you have any more questions just ask.

-Jeremiah-

Back