What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does any one know anything

I can't seem to find any info on this plant. Can anybody help me out with this one?

I have some knowlege of this plant. I have a rather large plant at the time. It is easy to grow. It can take temps up to 95 before showing any bad signs. It thrives in temps in the 70s and 80s. I find it grows better in peat and perlite mix than in does in pure lfs. The pitchers will turn brilliant colors under high light levels.

Thats about all I know about the hybrid.

Thanks
Mike

Does anyone know its parentage? Sounds like a lowlander from Sarracenia0's description.

There is basically nothing on the web about this plant.  The closest I can guess to the parentage is (N x mixta(maxima x northiana)).  any one know for sure?

It's produced in Europe and it's parents are unknown.
T

I found this info at: http://translate.google.com/transla....&u=http

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Hybrid of low altitude (N northiana X N maximum). Very often sold under the name of Nepenthes ' Miranda ', name which does not have any botanical value. Perhaps very slightly more demanding than the precedents as for its conditions of culture, there remains relatively easy to obtain a very beautiful plant with some efforts.
Its ballot boxes in general large and deep, with dominant green more or less are stained Bordeaux wine. One finds sometimes certain plants very coloured, the green becomes the minority color then. The broad green peristome with the opening of the trap becomes in a few sharp red days.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Is this one going to go under the same catagory as 'Gentle' and 'Velvet'?

Hi Everyone!
Snowy, you've seen 'em at my place. Definitely lowland, and pretty sure it's maxima x Mixta.
Back in the '30s there was a Japanese cross made of maxima x Mixta called N. Oiso, and Miranda looks nearly identical. If you want the big pitchers, however, you must maintain constant high humidity (70% or more).
I think N. Gentle might be the same as N. 'corn.bak', and we suspect it is N. maxima x N. fusca. It tolerates our Fla. summer temps, doing its best traps once the nights start to cool down in late Oct into winter.
We grow these two in a peaty mix because its what they are raised in all their lives from TC. They are vigorous and enjoy being repotted into fresh peat-sponge rock mix every two years.

Trent

I agree with Trent, they seem to thrive in shady conditions in FL.  They will get leaf burn from direct sunlight.  I've cooked some leaves, but they seem to grow like weeds anyway.  In our recent rainy season they really took off.  One has produced a couple pitchers over eight inches long.  They appear to be getting even bigger.  The pitchers are yellow and deep red.  I linked some pictures in my thread here:

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....25;t=65

Back