What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defying nature's laws?

Hi all:

I found this website from a gentleman under the nickname of maxpaxx. Unfortunately, I don't have his contact details but, he claims he grows his highland nepenthes outdoors!!!. I wonder if he lives in Mt Kinabalu, Sumatra, or Trus Mardi.

http://www.venturalink.net/~maxxpaxx/photos.htm

Tony, Josh or anyone else: is there any truth to his claims??. If somebody knows him, I would like to contact him as ask these questions myself.

Gus

I'm pretty sure Tony posted that site and said that he was on the California coastline which The Savage Garden does mention you can do so, that one thing that I find hard to believe are his claims on N. lowii, take a look... Good Luck finding him!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I am growing ventricosa, khasiana, maxima 'Sulawesi' and tobacia outdoors in Atlanta and all of them are classified as highland plants

The California coast line is kind of funny.. even at the southern end of the state if your close enough to the coast you have cool humid ocean breezes all day and the fog rolls in at night and burns off in the morning. So depending how the wind blows there are lots of micro climates.

I have never been to his house to see his plants but can believe his photos are accurate after spending a month out near where he is located a number of years ago.
Tony

Now that's lucky! Never saw that website before. If you have the natural humidity to do it then I would take full advantage of it like the guy is doing but unfortunately most of us don't have such luck. I can't get the "easy" Neps to pitcher outside here. They will live and grow but no pitchers.

The book National Parks of Sarawak states that the relative humidity in an open (non-forested) windy area of land in Sarawak (Borneo) will range from a high of 90%+ at dawn down to a  "low" of 60% rh at noon and gradually back up to 90%+ at dusk. That's quite a high amount of humidity which I can't achieve outside of a growing chamber.

If I'm lucky the highest humidity for me here in Minnesota "land of 10,000 lakes" is 70%  in dense shade at the hottest part of the day. At night as the sun goes down so does the humidity. If you have a hygrometer leave it outside one day and record the changes every few hours and see how your immediate climate changes. Each side of your house might be different depending on light levels. Inside my house it is 40% in summer and as low as 20% in winter, sure plant death so I don't even try anymore!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ July 22 2003,08:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The California coast line is kind of funny.. even at the southern end of the state if your close enough to the coast you have cool humid ocean breezes all day and the fog rolls in at night and burns off in the morning.  So depending how the wind blows there are lots of micro climates.

Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yea, thats the coast of california all right. humidity is rarely under 50%, and temps are rarely over 75ºF in the day, and the temps at night in summer is around 55-60ºF. You can believe me, as i live 2 miles from the beach!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
Oh, and I grow my nepenthes rajah outside, does better than in its highland chamber!
wow.gif

Oh, and may I have this mans name? i'm sure i can track him down for you
smile.gif

Spec is right. I live in San Francisco, and right now it's 65 degrees and 78% humidity, and it's a very typical day. I've always suspected a N. raja would grow outdoors here very well. However, there are a few days each summer where the temp goes up and the humidity goes down. I'd bring the raja inside on those days Spec!
biggrin.gif

Capslock

Back