What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. faizaliana

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I just got a N. faizaliana in with the heap of plants I just recieved and I was curious if it has any special requirements other than the standart highland treatment?

I will say that it is a beautiful plant
smile.gif

Lucky you!
smile.gif
Yeah it is a beauty! Also just a typical highland. Plant in typical soil mix and grow as a typical highland.
smile.gif

According to neps of borneo its altitudinal range is from 500 to 1500 m so I think that it might be able to take warmer temps than most other highland neps. It also says that the plant is found on limestone outcrops... although I'm not sure how you'd make a nep mix based on limestone.
confused.gif

I would give it intermediate temps just to see how well it'll do.

Good luck with the plant, and please do post some pics!
smile.gif

Joel™

BTW: N faizaliana has also be observed to attract nectar feeding birds, so maybe you'll see some hummingbirds flying around your new plants!
smile.gif

As soon as PFT gets its website hosting back up and running I promise to inundate the boards with the massive number of pics I have been taking for the last 2 months.

If N. faizaliana can take intermediate temps then I might move the largest plant outside with my ventricosa and khasiana (which means I need to go pot shopping:) ) Can it take super high light levels (as in full sun from about noon till 4pm?)

Joel is right. Faizaliana's range is more intermediate and can tolerate some warmer temperatures. Mine grows easily as an intermediate. Oz

I think you could add a pinch of gardening lime, or sumthing like that... If you have limestone, smash it up into powder, and then add a small pinch before you mix all the soil ingrediants together...

Actually, perosnally I would advise against limestome or any alkaline aditves, unless you have quite a quantity of Fiaz's to try it out on.

I, too, caution against the use of limestone as a compost component. From what I've been told
by those who have seen many species of Nepenthes in situ, the mere fact that a plant is growing
on a limestone outcrop does not mean that it is growing in limestone. Actually, plants
are purportedly growing in layers of humus which collect on such formations.

As an aside, some time ago, it was speculated that limestone might be a useful addition to the
compost of N. northiana. However, I know of no one who was successful growing this species
in compost with this component. In fact, I've grown this species to maturity (with leaves
well over 2 feet in length) in a compost utterly devoid of any limestone whatsoever.
You can see a somewhat dated photo of a pitcher at
Plants with Attitude - northiana. Just my two cents worth....

Very nice Jeff!
smile.gif
I also grow Northiana as a gift from Michael Catalani, it's small but it still is a nice steady grower, he has it planted in sphagnum and perlite and it is a great healthy plant. He also said that the plants are seated on a limestone surface, they are not growing in it, just in areas where debris and dirt,etc accumulate.

I never planned on adding lime as I have heard all the same info on the humus pockets that are fairly acidic. I am sticking with my mix of orchid bark, NZ sphag and tree fern fiber
smile.gif

Back