What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it normal

I just got a bare root N. Ventricosa a couple of weeks ago.

Four leaves have turned black (died)

One formed pitcher turned brown
another pitcher formed and the top 1/3 is turning brown
a third picture is forming.

I watered at transplant and again each week. I try to keep the humidity up in the terrarium.  I have 4 T20 bulbs on top of the 10 gallon tank that are on from 7am to 8:30pm.  The temperatures only get to about 80 degrees F.

Is this normal after transplant?  Any suggestions on better care?

Did your plant have roots when you got it? How big is it? Is it a rotted cutting from a larger plant? If so the roots might have been damaged (Nep roots are pretty brittle) you may have better luck cutting the stem into 3 leaf sections (i.e node cuttings) cutting off the bottom leaf at the stem on all your pieces, and cutting the remaining 2 leaves in half. make a few slits from the removed leaf area down to the bottom part of the stem and dip this end in rooting hormone and plant in long fibered sphagnum up to the bottom of the 1st remaining 1/2 leaf. This procedure will activate a dormant node that lies between each leaf on a nep stem and will give you an all new plant & root system. It will take a few months to get some nice size leaves/pitchers again but you will have a plant that is wholly grown in your conditions and seems thike most plants treated this way respond very well.

I would add that 80 watts of flourescent light will not be enough to properly grow leaves and color the pitchers on your N. ventricosa as it gets older (which may be why you're experiencing a die off after just receiving it) but this tank & light setup will do as a chamber to grow node cuttings that I described above. The minimum light I would reccomend for Neps is 4x 40 watt tubes (160 watts) and no more than 12" above the plant pots surface (a 55 gallon fishtank is perfect) If you can fit 6x 40 watt tubes (240 watts) so much the better for the plants and you can increase the height to 2 feet above the plant pots surface without any problem if you surround the growing area/fishtank with tinfoil to trap the light.

Hope this helps some!
smile.gif

Edit: Ah another thought; you say you try to keep the humidity up. If you have the top covered with a sheet of plexi glass or arcrylic or whatever then you should be OK. The more open your lid the less humidity there will be. I use tanks that are nearly sealed with only 1/4" of open space on the lid and have had no problems with rot or fungus and still watered the plants twice a week. Heavy frequent watering/pot flushing will keep the terrariums humidity up as will filling the bottom of the tank with water 1/2" deep and making a "false floor" of egg crate sheeting so the plants sit just above the water, this will raise the humidity nice and high!

Thanks, I will try if thigs get worse.
I planed to move it to a window later in March.

Back