What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rafflesiana

I have N. rafflesiana " squat red" and it grows really slow. The conditions are: 75-90 percent humidity and 75-80 degrees during the day, and 75-70 during the night. It produced one pitcher, but the pitcher never inflated, stayed extremely small, and the lid opened before the pitcher was even close to mature. Though it is pretty new...maybe that had something to do with it. Oh yeah...how big do the pitchers get?

i don't have that Raff. you mentioned but i do have 3 diff. types of it. it is a slow grower and your conditions are ok for the growing condtions. it could actually take a little warmer temp. if ya wanted to give it to it. your night time temp could be slowing it down to with it droping down a little cooler.

thanks-though i really don't know how to change the temperature. It's in a tank and the only heat source are the florescent lightes

As far as pitchers opening, in my giant N. rafflesiana, the pitchers form very slowly. While they form, a small opening stays between the lid and the rest of the pitcher. Then when it's mature, the lid opens, and the pitcher continues to grow and reach its full development. I think that is typical, atleast with the giant form I have.

How long have you had your plant? How long does it take
for a pitcher to develop?

N. rafflesiana is really a very easy, and generally relatively rapid,
grower. Given the information you supplied regarding conditions,
I would guess that part of your trouble is due to the fact that
your daytime high temps are a bit cool. Try to maintain temps
of 30 to 35 C during the day, and no lower than 20 C at night.
Given good lighting, your plant should then grow rapidly.

carcinos, you said that your raff was new. It will take 2 to 3 months for it to adjust to it's new surroundings completely. My PFT raff made a few aborted pichers and after a couple of months it started to make nice shiny green leaves and 1" tall green pichers with red spots. Your conditions are simular to mine. I don't know how bright you lights are, but the raff seem to like bright light. Mine get 6 40 watt flourescents.

Back