What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pitcher just opened

• Thread starter Redtail
  • Start date
The first pitcher opened up on my nep that I just got several weeks ago....it's been opened since Friday actually...how long should I wait until I feed it?

Hmmm...i'll wait 5 days till I can feed my plant.

I'm waiting to see the responses to this one. Because of the healing properties of unopened pitcher contents, there must be more than just water in there. I can see it go either way, but my inclination is to wait a couple of weeks. I would certainly suggest a small feeding at first.

Regards,

Joe

Hi guys,
I've had my pitchers "eat" as soon as things could squeeze in there. There have been no ill effects (that I could detect). I would think, in the wild, when a pitcher gets its first meal would largely dictated by chance. That said, the first meal might indeed be a small one if the pitcher lid has just "detached," and there is only a small crack for potential victims to wiggle through.....
Just my two cents.

I always feed mine right when they open, and they are happy that way. I don't have any idea why their would even be a problem at all, In fact, I would think it would prefer to be fed. That is stomic acid sitting in it's traps you know, lol!

(side note)
Medical uses? Ewww, no thanks, I'm not into narcotic stumic juice, what is it used for? Sterilizzing wounds?

I feed em soon as I can get something in there.. It is the only way I can keep track in the greenhouse! I just go through every week or so and hit newly opened pitchers with a bit of food.

Tony

i feed them as soon as i catch something to feed them. just a couple of min. ago there was a yard lizard in with the dews that i'm germinating and when i caught it, it desided to bit me so a N.velvet pitchers got quit a meal tonight to feast on.
smile.gif

but, from reading as soon as they open up they are able to be feed.

I feed mie as soon as The lid is open all the way. I never seen my nep's sufer from getting feed early like when they open they actually start to grow faster.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks all...I'll stuff its stomach tonight I think.

Redtail

Give new pitchers a few days to harden off before feeding them. I've fed some of my plants when the pitchers were opening and I ended up losing those particular pitchers.
sad.gif
Also, don't overstuff the pitcher since this can lead to mold growing on the undigested prey left in it.

hey Joe

A while back i trimmed back my N khasiana plant and I actually drank the liquid in one of the unopenned pitchers.
wow.gif
It tasted sort of "herbaly" but i think it would have tasted better with some sugar. :s

hehe

Jœl

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GEORGE-CP @ April 16 2003,07:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i feed them as soon as i catch something to feed them. just a couple of min. ago there was a yard lizard in with the dews that i'm germinating and when i caught it, it desided to bit me so a N.velvet pitchers got quit a meal tonight to feast on.
smile.gif

but, from reading as soon as they open up they are able to be feed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You killed a lizard? Uh, pain!!!!!!

George,

Ugh. Box them up and send those lizards to me, where we have none, lol.

Joe

nope i didn't kill it i just placed it in the pitcher. after reading my quote, i checked the pitcher that has the lizard in it and it is still alive.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GEORGE-CP @ April 17 2003,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">nope i didn't kill it i just placed it in the pitcher. after reading my quote, i checked the pitcher that has the lizard in it and it is still alive.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You let that poor thing go! It only bit you because it was afraid for it's life!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You let that poor thing go! It only bit you because it was afraid for it's life![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NO I DIDN'T LET IT GO!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> i just tried to take a picture of the dumb thing in the pitcher still alive. if it was smart enought it would crawl right out of it

TAKE A PIC.sorry for the caps. I want to see that little izard in the pitcher. LOLOL
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i'll see what i can do about taken a pic. tomorrow. to dark out right now. i just tried to take one earlyer but, i couldn't get the right angel to see the lizard with out it being blurry.

i just killed a black wasp and feed a mature N.alata pitcher. wow was that wasp huge. i had to stuff it in the pitcher due to the curves of it to get it down to the bottom of the pitcher.
biggrin.gif

Take the picture of the lizard today I really want the size of the pitcher and of the lizard. Thanx--Phil
biggrin.gif

wow, that pitcher fluid is deadly. this morning i checked the pitcher to see if the lizard was still in there and it was still alive. after just reading your post i went out back to see if i could take a picture of it and the lizard is dead and totally submerged in the fluid. i can't get the right angle to get the picture due to form of the peristome.

I wait five days once a pitcher opens. May not have to but it gives the pitcher sometime to adjust and have pitcher harden a bit. I suppose I would feed the pitcher right away if a bug really needs to die badly
tounge.gif
. Also may depend on the day. Ask yourself this "Is it a good day to die? Punk!".
wink.gif
tounge.gif
lol

Travis

Back