What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. home depot

Dis anyone ever figure out what species on Nepenthes the Home Depot was selling. I bought one a few months ago and as it is growing I can see that the pitchers are going to be somewhat slinder. Possibly a highland??
Wish I could send a photograph.

Hi robertl,
I also bought a N. homedepotensis a few months ago and I think it is the hybrid 'Judith Finn'. Judith Fin is a cross between spathulata and veitchii. Yours may be, also.
Cheers,
Chris

Hey guys...

I too have a Nepenthes HOmus Depoticus, actually had i for a while.

It comes from Gublers right?

Any how, It is not a Judith Finn, Gublers knows one of it's parents, but not the other... it's an unknown cross basically... no cultivar, no nothin... any how... it has nice pitchers, mine are about an 1 & 3/4 inch, and skinny as a pencil. Very pretty and elegant... my baby Judith Finn is different from the get go that this guy...

Any how...

parentage unknow... I have been growing mine in lowland conditions... which really means nothing.

Thanks for the input
Mine to is rather slinder and pink colored until you get to the bottom rounder portion. So at least we all may have the same type. Hopefully, as they grow more secrets will unfold.

When do Home Depot sell Nepenthes? Throughout the year?

I have just noticed them in the summer months. I guess they know what their doing. As we all know domes on the plants in the summer months can be a no no. They are usually kept inside however, it can get rather hot in the garden section.
The price is good at about less than &#365 so thought I would take a shot at it. The plant comes with terrible instructions. Better for people to stay tuned to discussions on the board.

Hi RamPuppy,
I know at least my N. homedepotensis is Judith Finn. Mine doesn't at all fit your description. The pitchers(on mine) are shorter and tubbier. Mine is unmistakably a polymorphic Judith Finn. I think I've got my point across:)! Also, mine is certainly not from Gublers--the packaging doesn't give a hint--but keeps rambling on about it being a 'little pot of horrors';). I suppose Home Depot buys from multiple Nep suppliers. I wouldn't be surprised--I'm in Massachusetts and you're in Texas! Gublers does stock some great CP, though-- I recently bought a couple Darlingtonia from them and they're huge and in great shape.
                                       Cheers,
                                        Chris

I too have seen the little pot of horrors nepenthes...

But remember this, unless it was sold to you as a Judith Finn, you should never sell cuttings of the plant and say they are judith Finn, becuase your introducing impurity, possibly.

I am actually a little suprised that you are so sure it's a Judith Finn, there are quite a few varieties of Nepenthes that look identical when young...

Yes, I have no plans for propogating this plant. Not all of the pitchers are polymorphic, a few appear to be mature. I compared my plant with pictures of fully mature specimens, and 'my' pitchers appear identical; albeit smaller, and sans that distinctive peristome. You're right, I could have the thought in my head that my plant is absolutely Judith Finn, and I'm actually ABSOULTELY mistaken. Oh well, I'm just glad to have a nice, neat, Nep to admire!
smile.gif

--Chris

This topic has come up often on the cpdigest also... If I recall correctly there are 3 different hybrids sold by Gublers at one time or another. Plus the possibility that homedepot/lowes may have other suppliers also. Sorry I don't recall what the consensus was on what just might be floating around.. Even Gublers doesn't know for sure.

Although some Nepenthes are polymorphic and others are not, unless they are mature sized it would difficult to determine just what it might be.. Even then you have to deal with lower pitchers, intermediate pitchers and upper pitchers all of which may look different, making identification very hard even with pure species sometimes.

Tony

both of you are right... and NG? You nailed it... you have a beautiful Nepenthes to Admire!

Back