What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N jacquelineae

A guy I know who owns an orchid shop here in MN will be getting some N. jacquelineae imported in this fall and of course I want one! Has anyone kept these? I understand they were just named in 2000...
How about you Tony, you seem to have it all at your place! Any thoughts on them?

Thanks folks!

N. jacquelineae, is brand spanking new to cultivation. And it is a monstourous plant EVENTUALLY like Sumatrana,Bicalcarata,etc. (from whta I have heard) and no, hardly anyone has this plant yet
sad.gif
But hopefully it should become available sometime soon. But yes, we are all awaiting it's arrival. Even Tony.
smile.gif

As far as I know they will soon be coming out of the labs and into growing ranges. Some will probably trickle down towards the end of the year to US growers but expect them to be TINY plants.

Based on the description, regular highland culture should be fine. Size according to the description really isn't that large.. 40cm across on a climbing stem with upper pitchers (which is about 17 inches). It does make very long tendrils however.
Tony

Wow if Tony ain't got one yet... I really must have it!
biggrin.gif

I hope Jerry was right about getting them "in the fall" unfortunately he wasn't any more specific than that. Mostly he was talking about getting this years Borneo Adventure tour together. Sure wish I had the dough to go along!
confused.gif

swords, where do live like waht state? Yuo are so lucky to have a orchid store that actaully noes CP's lol!

We have a shop called Orchids Limited in Plymouth MN-their prices are sky high but if you're an impulse buyer you don't mind... sometimes!
biggrin.gif
And the owner is a nice guy (as are all the workers) so I don't mind supporting a good local business, at least they know a lot more than the regular "tropical plant" store which sold me 3 different "N.xCoccineas" only one of which was!

OL is starting to get more CPs, they carry the more common Nepenthes mainly but they've started to carry Sarracenias, Sundews, Pings, Cobras, etc. whether this is due to my pestering I'm not sure. Now if I could get them to start keeping the CPs more humid and closer to the swamp cooler so they don't get crispy on the leaf edges... or they could just hire me and I'll do it!
wink.gif

However, when I'm seriously set on Nepenthes shopping I do go via mailorder cos it's a cheaper way to get a lot of plants.
smile.gif

I find it difficult to believe anyone will have this species available soon.

Charles and I found it, I haven't told anyone exactly where we found it and I doubt Charles has either - though I can't guarantee that of course. There was no seed to collect and neither of us has been back to the site since we found it.

Cheers, Troy.

The picture of the climbing plant in Clarke's book on page 147 is somewhat misleading as the pitchers have to be much smaller than the size of 15cm for upper pitchers he mentiones in the text. Hopefully Borneo Exotics doesn't ask for prices similar to that of N. argentii - of course beeing the only source for these plants in the near future they will be able to.

The other Nepenthes that finally will come from them is N. dubia
smile.gif
I hope they do have at least one reliable distributor in europe right then or Tony will be able to ship worldwide!?

Joachim

Dunno FB...I didn't ask where who when on how he got them. Rob does claim they have them. As for available soon, I doubt.. Rob does not list plants on his pricelist until they are at least 2-3 inches minimum. Whether or not he lets a couple seedlings go here or there to friends etc would be up to him, but you won't find them on any pricelists soon I am sure.

Joachim I agree the whole plant picture looks like it is not a full sized specimen. Photographs are sometimes hard to judge though. The type description does however say leaves less than/equal to 20cm. I would figure if Charles measured the largest pitchers he found he also measured the largest diameter plant as well. It sounds reasonable to me that a plant 40cm in diameter would make 15cm pitchers without difficulty. (for non cm people thats a 16" plant with 6" pitchers) Perhaps there are larger plants, since it would be impossible to measure every plant in the wild and get the absolute largest measurement.
Tony

Well Fatboy should know the size of the plant - at least I know now what the synonym T. Davis in the first description of N. jacquelineae stands for ;-)

Judging from the surrounding vegetation and the number of leaves the plant on this photo has already grown I would think it is mature. Leaf size and tendril length seem to match the description but the pitches seem to be only about 8cm big.

Joachim

Actually if I remember correctly (and to be honest what sticks out most in my mind about finding that plant was lots of hooting and high 5's, and the confused looks on the faces of the 2 local guys that were helping us up the mountain) the plant in that pic was not a particularly huge one.

Charley always tries to get them in situ and absolutely LOATHES ripping off a pitcher and setting a shot up. When he takes pics I usually run around madly finding the biggest and most colourful examples while Charley finds one that is perfect and in a good possie to photograph. As anyone that has done any macro phothraphy would know, the bigger the subject the more difficult it is to get the entire thing in proper focus as the depth of field is so short. That, I think, is why Charley deliberately elects to photograph smaller specimens and at some distance.
He takes a looong time to set it all up but it shows in the quality of his pics. Having just taken my own 7 year old to see Nepenthes in their habitat I can now finally understand what Charley has put up with when travelling with me!!

Cheers, Troy.

Interesting stuff! This is an old thread, but being quite new to this list, I sort of stumbled across it.
wow.gif

N. jacquelineae is certainly in sterile culture now, but isn't exactly the easiest species to grow in the lab so far. That gives me hope for cultivation since some species that are slow in sterile culture grow very well once taken out of sterile conditions.

N. jacquelineae has now been discovered on two mountains, one being the type locality and another colony elsewhere. The plants on the second mountain were actually more robust than the plants photographed in Charles' book. Sadly due to incredible unrelenting rain, one of our cameras malfunctioned and the other gave misty shots due to condensation somewhere in the lens system. I'll put some photographs up eventually but they won't win any awards!

N. species 'B' shown in Charles book (I believe soon to be named - when and where Troy?) is also very spectacular.

Of course, there's always a chance that seeds may turn out to be hybrids, that has happened to us before, but let's hope not in this case.

A couple of brave souls in the US are cultivating tiny seedlings of N. jacquelineae and we can look to them for the first cultivation data. Good luck guys!

smile.gif

Oh those lucky buggers(who have N. jacq)!

Rob I definately wanna see those pics!
smile.gif

Since you're "in the biz" any idea when it will be more widely available (as well as N. klosii)?

It's really hard to say for sure Josh. Around July 2003 is my best guess. A lot depends upon how fast they grow when out of sterile culture. Trials so far look pretty good.

N. klossii is one we don't have (yet). They still have head hunters in Irian Jaya you know! Anyway, I'm hoping to go back to the Philippines one last time first. Gotta go and find the true N. burkei to find out whether the one we have is true or not. Besides, I like scuba diving too...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">). They still have head hunters in Irian Jaya you know! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

For real or are you pulling my leg?
wink.gif

I wish I could afford to go with the guy who owns Orchids Ltd. here in Minnesota on his trips over to Borneo and Sumatra... maybe someday!

A bit off topic but have you any fears of the terrorism going on over there these days? We will be having a TV show called Orchid Hunter on public TV which tells the story of a guy looking for orchids in I think it's Borneo or Maylasia (the show hasn't been on yet) and gets kidnapped by some rebel group.
For US viewers it will be on your local public television stations. It will be showing Nov 26th on the show Nova for anyone interested.

Josh,

I'm living in Sri Lanka. Peace has broken out here and seems to be holding. There's no anti-American or anti-Western sentiment here at all as far as I can tell. I used to live in Borneo throughout the 1980's and then it was quite a peaceful place except for certain parts of Kalimantan. I used to travel all over the place and never felt threatened. Not so some parts of the Philippines which can be very nasty as you probably know. Mindanao is the nastiest place I have been to. I don't ever want to go back there. Lots of AK-47's in the hands of obviously drunk guards and soldiers.

This friend of yours travelling around, he's not wild-collecting plants is he? If he is he should be aware of CITES and the penalties if he is caught. The rules are rigid and uncompromising and the penalties can be very tough. There's a guy in the US who has just had a huge fine slapped on him for receiving plants through the post from Malaysia with no permits. Claims he didn't even know they were coming, poor guy.
sad.gif

I do not believe the owner of the orchid shop is wild collecting (at least I hope not). I do not know from what company he receives his Neps from (possibly Malesiana Tropicals as that's where he orders the C. Clarke books from). He just runs a "yearly" trip to bring fanatics (mostly of orchids) to the jungles. He's an older fellow who's been running his greenhouse since the seventies (I think). Age doesnt mean intelligence but I hope he's on the up and up cos he's a nice very guy. Most plants he sells are very small yet which leads me to believe he's getting TC or seed grown stuff. Some of his Neps are in the "huge" catergory being taller than me with amazing pitchers.

If you have the plant import permit you don't have to worry about getting fined do you? I just received my permit (w/ green & yellow stickers) but I don't know if that's all I need. I definately wanna have it all correct before I order anything!

Josh,

I'm not familiar with all the US laws on the subject, but I believe the guy in the US who was recently fined did have an import permit and the best of intentions. If the country of export is a signatory to the CITES convention (and most countries are) then the plants have to be accompanied by a CITES export permit also, otherwise the shipment is in breach of international law and people at both ends are culpable. The guy who sent the plants can be prosecuted for smuggling (sending plants without due documentation) and if it can be shown that the importer "caused the illegal importation" e.g. offered money or other inducement to cause the plants to be sent, then the importer is also liable to prosecution in most countries.

I think this is what just happended to the guy I mentioned in the U.S. He was advised to plead guilty and fined several thousand dollars. The alternative would have been a long legal battle that would have cost far more than this in legal fees.

Don't want to sound as though I'm scare-mongering, but it's best to be careful not to make a mistake. Even an innocent mistake can be costly as ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Incidentally, in the case above the parcel was labeled something like "toys" or "clothing" so there was no doubt that it was an attempt to smuggle on the part of the exporter. The poor guy who was caught at the US end suffered the penalty and is kindly warning everyone not to get caught in the same trap.

Finally, I'm not trying to imply that your friend is dong anything wrong at all. Sounds like a great guy!

Thanks for the info on the permit thing!
Most mailorder places seem to offer free CITES documents and phyto certificates either free of charge of for a small amount.
That sucks that the box was mislabeled cos that really is suspicious to The Law. Was the company which this guy ordered from a real company who is well known and 'respected' or some fly by night industries incorporated private party seller/exporter? I want to open a terrarium/vivarium shop in Minneapolis in the next year or so I'd like to know who to avoid if they're supposedly well known and respected as there are about 3-4 SE Asian companies I'm looking at ordering starting stock from. I'd hate to have the shop close before it even opens from some crooked suppliers!
sad.gif

Josh,

The guy who sent the plants was an individual in Malaysia, that's all I know. I'm sure it wouldn't have been any of the genuine outfits that you might find on the internet.

Back