What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need amp help

schloaty

Staff member
I have my N. Amp. in my lowland tank with all my other lowlands, and it's not doing so well. Can anyone help me out? I keep the tank 80's day and 70's night, I'm not sure about the humidity, I don't have a hydrometer, but there is always a film of water in the bottom of the tank. I keep the soil moist (LFS). The lighting isn't ideal, but that's only been that way for about 2 days, I just moved the tank.
confused.gif

Oh, yeah! Duh! Forgot to mention the symptoms.
It isn't growing or pitchering. Some of the leaves are yellowing and slightly wilted.

if you just moved the tank to a diff. location that might be part of what is going on. a new envirorment the plant has to get used to.
you don't have to get a hydrometer to measure the humidity. a normal small humidistat will do the trick. i found a couple at walmart that also tells the temp to.

ugh yellow and wilting is not a good sign..

Is this a recently acquired plant?

Has it been recently repotted?

Is there a lid covering most of the terrarium? and is there moisture on the inside glass?

Sounds to me like moisture problem with the plant... BUT if the humidity is plenty high enough it could be a problem with an unhealthy root system or disease.
Tony

I've had the plant for a couple of months, and I haven't recently repotted it. I do have a lid on the tank, and I mist inside twice a day. There is almost always a thin layer of water on the whole bottom of the tank.

Do these plants like big pots? Maybe the pot is too small?

Well still hard to say.. Was it an established plant making new growth when you got it? Did it arrive in pot or out of pot? Has it never really grown much or was it growing well and suddenly decline? You mention water in the bottom.. are the plants elevated above it?

So far from what you have provided.. I am guessing:

It has not fully reestablished from its travels to you and it is too wet. I also suspect that the roots have rotted since you mention wilting but yet it is in a very humid and wet environment.

A terrarium with a lid on it does not need misting and would most likely need watering only a few times a month.
Tony

hmmm,
I hope it's not root rot. That would stink. Is there a way to check that without disturbing the plant too much? As far as the water in the bottom, it's usually only a thin film...
I also have read (don't know if it's true) that you can grow amps on the tray method....If this is untrue, I will elevate the pot so it can drain more efficiently.
confused.gif

Sure can, my Amp is on the tray method and it works wonderfully. Amp is very hard to over water, BUT in a terrarium that's different. Hmm......checking the roots? Well if it has rotted then why not uproot it! You could, IF the roots rotted then you can make a cutting or a few. Amp is VERY easy to cut and will bud all over amking a multi grwing pointed cutting.

Bah, I say Fooey to a hygrometer if you're measuring the inside of a terrarium. Of course its humid enough, its not gonna be dry...

Back