What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What species? i got it from homedepot

hey guys,
i need help finding out what species of Nepenthes that i just bought from HomeDepot. I think it is N. x Holland, but i am not sure. if u can help me out then i would appreciate it.

thnx,
Jason
smile.gif

Hey Deathtrap,
First off "WELCOME TO THE FORUMS."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway it's hard to say without any pics.

Buying Neps at a home depot or garden center is kind of like a shot in the dark, you never quite know til the plant gets larger (if you got one of those pots with the clear dixie cups on top).

If you could post a pic it would help us a lot cos ID is done by the leaf shape, pitcher shape, etc.

It's likely you have a hybrid possibly "Holland", "Coccinea", "Judith Finn", "Velvet", or one of the easy species like alata or ventricosa or possibly "Ventrata" (a hybrid of the last two species). these species & hybrids are all in all very forgiving and easy growers as long as you provide them with high humidity (70%+) and warm temps (70*F-90*F days and 60-70*F at night) and clean R/O or distilled water and bright light.

Hey guys, thnx for trying anyway. i can't find a picture of it, yet. the picture that the plant came with is a different species. What i can tell ya is that the leaves are thick like, but not ask thick as orchids'. the shape of the leave is like the shape of a melon except it is a little more narrow.

thnx,
Jason

You will like this photo then:
jfinnp.jpg

This is my Judith Finns 5" pitcher, the latest pitcher is 6" but the plant is crawling across the pot and clasping the pot edge instead of growing up and has somewhat buried this latest leaf and pitcher. I am going to transplant it with a large cork log for it to grasp onto and climb vertically. Another nice thing is J Finn grows pretty fast, slower in highland conditions but it's a much sturdier plant when given cold nights. When I was growing it in lowland conditions the leaves started to come out deformed and the pitchers didn't last very long (none of the other plants were doing this as the others were lowlanders) moving it into my highland chamber stopped the problem.

Good luck it's a nice plant!

Hey swords,
   How long did it take for you to notice the difference in the x Judith Finn when you moved it out of the lowland setup into the highland setup?  Was there an adjustment period, or did the plant immediately beef up (for lack of a better expression)?

I'm sure your plant is a judith finn because that hoiw I described it . btw , did your plant come from a comany called gunlers orchids and the labe said nepenthes hybrid with a fake pic of a fly in a pitcher .

It was quite immediate, the next all new leaf was looking fine (no deformities) and the growth accellerated quite dramatically. In 8 months the leaf diameter size trippled and so did the pitcher size-which is pretty good for highland plants which are often pretty slow.

In comparison it took my Nepenthes lowii 8 months just to make it's first 4-6 leaves and one 2 cm pitcher in my highland conditions!
wink.gif

My Judith Finn...

N_JudithFinn03_web.jpg

The peristome later turned red.

Back