What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small nepenthes

I like neps, but are there any that anyone would consider 'miniature' varieties.

Thanks,

Matt Corrigan

I can't think of any besides N.Gracilis. I know there are more I just can't think of them...

I think he means, when matured, can fit into a 10-20 gallon tank no prob
smile.gif
I'd like to know this too....

Ok, here are a few:

Lowland:

N. gracilis (if pruned)
N. ampullaria

Highland: ( a bit harder, needs COLD NIGHTS:
N. glabrata
GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Here's a list with the plants I would consider for a smaller terrarium. Some are lowland, some are highland and price can vary considerably as some are very rare. Some are easy to grow and some require very specialized care. Some will grow quickly and require regular pruning while others will not. All of these however will not get overly large in diameter.

This will get you going on which plants to research for those which will suit your own growing conditions. A good place to start Plants With Attitude

N. adnata
N. campanulata
N. bellii
N. gracilis
N. argentii
N. pectinata or xiphioides
N. ventricosa x inermis
N. aristolochioides
N. glabrata
N. distillatoria
N. muluensis
N. tentaculata
N. ramispina
N. tobiaca

Tony

Bringing an older topic from the dead...

OK hours and research and this is where I'm at.  It appears that lowland neps would be best for my environment.  

For debate:
I plan on having 1 or 2 neps in the vivarium that I'm building (details below) Would anyone recommend anything different such as the ordering of my top picks or even a different species that I might have not considered for my environment.  I'm willing to spend a maximum of $50 USD on the Nep that goes in my vive.  I've never had neps before, so I'm looking for a begging level Nep.  The following are currently my top picks (1) being the favorite:

(1) N. ventricosa (black)
(2) N. tobiaca (red)
(3) N. campanulata
(5) N. ampullaria (spotted or red)
(4) N. adnata
(6) N. bellii

Next:  has anyone ever ordered from:
Malesiana Tropicals

I'm building a vivarium that is roughly 2.5' talll with a base and top that is 2' by 2'.  I'm still working on building it out of acrylic.  I'm also open to recommendations, comments, or conformations (i.e. that'll work!) on the other aspects of my vivarium.  

Watering system is a Rainmaker I System Misting Kit from cloudtops.com.  The mist comes in from the top at 4 different locations and I can time them to come on at different times. (some more than others.)  (Humidity should be kept consistently at above 85%.)  

There will be a 2" false bottom made from screen-covered eggcrate and elevated by Acrylic cubes.  False bottom drains into my misting system  reservoir.

Temperature is maintained by a thermostat connected to 3 mounted computer fans.  (Too much heat is the problem for me not the cold.)  I should be able to keep the Daytime Temperatures below 80 deg F (during extreme summer months) and the Nighttime above 60 deg F (during extreme winter months).

Light will consist of 2 x 55 watt Bright Kit from ahsupply.com
with one 10000K 55 watt blub and one Medium Blue bulb.

Two of the walls will be covered with coco panels from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply.  I'm using coco because of its delayed decomposition properties.

The substrate will have a 6% grade from the Back and Rside down to the Front and Lside. with the depth at the Front:Lside being 2" and the depth of the Back:Rside being 33.941"*tan(5.4 deg)+2=5.2".  The intersections of the Front:Rside and the Lside:Back have depths of 24"*tan(5.4 deg)+2=4.25".

The substrate is a mix of 1 part 1/4" Horticultural Charcoal, 2 parts 1/4" crushed red volcanic rock and 6 parts CoCo Bedding.  

For my Nep Pot I have found a Cork Tube that is 8" in diameter at a reptile show.  I cut it at about 6" in depth and
staple/sewed black cross-stitch panel cut to size onto the bottom of the 6" Cork Bark Cyllinder.  I sewed with black fishingline.  I will line the bottom with about 1" of the CoCo Fiber Loose Fill and then the remaining with my above mentioned substrate.  This will be hung into the top corner of my vivarium.  

Malesiana Tropicals

Lots of us have ordered from Malaysiana. Even though they arrive potten in LF sphagnum, I have some problems acclimating them(maybe they were not poted up for very long). Tony suggested to me treating some like cuttings(BTW Tony, three of my campanulata made it that I had given up on-wierd what happens when you ignore sometimes).
The ventricosa and tobaica are intermediates, but some have had good luck with them in warm conditions.
Your set-up sounds intriguing. Can you PM me about details on the misting system(on-line info, ect)?
The campanulata and adnata are the best lowland miniatures. N. gracilis can vine quite a bit, but if you prune it, it will not be a problem. There are some nice gracilis forms out there, if you can find them.

Regards,

Joe

Just my 2 cents:

I am VERY happy with both my tobaica and my campanulata. I grow both under typical lowland conditions...Tobaica is about 10 inches wide right now, and the camp is about 3 or 4 inches across (both, ironically, with NICE 2" pitchers).

FWIW:

At the NECPS Show on Saturday, Tom Hayes said that N. viellardi stays very small and that he had a few in terrariums in Bonsai pots. Beautiful magenta red pitchers too.

After a few years, my N. ampullaria got huge, crowding the terrarium it was in.

WildBill

The bellii is a good choice if size considerations are key. In my experience, limited, that's one of the smallest. It seems to be a true mini-nep, unless I'm mistaken.

How long does shipping take from Malaysiana Tropicals? Aren't they in Borneo? I think I might get a bical from there. Pft should sell those!
smile.gif

Back