What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New, smaller pitcher

trashcan

O:-)
My N.hirsuta spotted made its first pitcher about a month ago. It was about ~3" tall (maybe a little more) when it opened. A newer pitcher developed (and opened), and it is only 1.5" tall. I'm obviously disappointed, but more importantly, am I doing something wrong? Is the plant unhappy? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm worried that I'm not providing enough sunlight for my lowland plants (my Ventricosa red pitchers have gone from red to yellow). Anyone game for some suggestions?

Patrick
(if needed, i can post some pictures).

Maybe your lights are getting weaker with age...

?

It gets both natural and artificial sunglight, but I suppose its possible... I think the night temps are a little cooler in my new location also..

Patrick

Did your humidity fluncuate? I think it is more of a temperature issue rather than humidity but anyhting is possible.

Cooler temps can do it. Lower humidity etc. I often find that some plants will pitcher better during different seasons.. particularly those I have in less than ideal conditions.

If the new leaves are getting bigger then I wouldn't worry.
Tony

Oh the lights are only about three months old also. I think they are good for 6 months to about a year. I vaguely recall hearing that somewhere.

n_hirsuta.jpg

The larger one is the first it developed after the plant came in the mail. You can see its about to die, and the new one is on the left. Sorry about the picture quality, its hard to get just right at 1
wow.gif
0am. It was either this pic or the blurry one.
smile.gif

Pat

heh! picture quality is better than mine!!!
smile.gif
But I would say probably just some lingering effect of some stress still. It could be temps and humidity like Tony and I said also.

After I settle in to my new house, I'll stop being cheap. Two ultra-sonic humidifiers per terrarium, and four lights per terrarium too!

As for the leaf size, the length of the leaf is the same on both leaves with pitchers. I guess that's a good sign. I think I might be a bit uptight about my plants.
smile.gif

Pat

Sounds like it is still in the recovery from shipping/potting/relocating to new environment phase.

Not sure on your exact conditions. Hirsuta is likes it warm moist and low light compared to many nepenthes

Tony

trashcan,

This happens to me all the time when I move my plants from one place to another, or when I just mess around with them too much. My bicalc was making 3 inch pitchers a few months ago, but I repotted it into a 10" pot, sprayed it with captan, and  gave it a shot of superthrive. After all of that, it was in suspended animation for 2 months and the next pitcher was less than an inch long!
sad.gif
Something similar also happend to my ventrata when I moved it to a hanging basket where it got more light. I was making 5 inch pitchers but the next one was 3 inches. It's making huge pitchers again though so I think that your plant should get back on track soon.
smile.gif

Joel  

Tony: I wasn't aware that they preferred a little less light than most Neps. I'll move it away from the absolute sunniest location in my terrarium (oops!).

Mindmaze: Definitely. Unforunately.. I'm going on vacation, so its staying at a friend's house (probably in a closet or something!).. And then I'm coming back and moving into a new house! So it will have to adjust to that.. and then I'm moving to the US (Mom is staying in the new apt)... It will probably be quite a while before its adjusted to its new, new environs..
smile.gif
.. Sigh..

Pat

I'm getting ready to move too, and guess where. Alaska! Fun, snowy, cold Alaska
sad.gif
. Hopefuly my plants wont have too much of an adjustment problem. Hopefuly.

Well, Pat I am giving you an early "Welcome to the continental US Pat" party. :biggrin:

Back