What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inducing Nepenthes to flower

Hello everyone,
How do you induce Nepenthes to flower? Particulary (sp?) Ventrincosa, Maxima, and Spectabilis? And generally (sp?) how long are the climbing vines of each species when/before they flower? Thanks,
Spectabilis73
smile.gif

Maybe you can post a pic. of a Nepenthes flower scape right when it startes growing so I know what it looks like.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
thanks

Male flowers of a N. Thorelli x Witteii

IMG_0112.jpg

the vine was 4 foot long before it put out a spike

does someone have pictures of a female flower

Hi there,
Nepenthes will flower when they want to so you have to wait. There really isn't a way to induce them to flower, it just isn't possible. Nepenthes are the plants that expect to outlive there owners and may take many years to flower (ie: N.Villosa) and some are so rapidly gorwing species they may flower in a year or so (IE: N.gracilis or N.Tobiaca)

I believe someone asked a similar question a while ago, and I think that Kim said that foliar feeding a Nep with a high phosphorous fertilizer might help to induce it to flower. Also, I pretty much doubt that any nepenthes plant, reguardless of how "weedy" it is, will flower in a year, unless it's a large plant when you get it.

Jœl

just like N.Grac. said some are slow to grow and some are very vigerous. just depends on the plant. no there is nothing u can do that i know of to promote a plant to flower it just does it when it is ready.

like the flowers there i have cut it back 2 times since i have had it. to try to root one w/ no such luck. but, with in a couple of months it is back to where it was. lacking the flowers thu.

it just takes time and patiance to grow one.

I'd post pictures of my female khasiana, but alas, I am without a digital camera
sad.gif
. Anyway, its vines is nearly a meter long, and it flowered last year around the same time. I remember a topic that asked about inducing nepenthes to flower, but I couldn't find it again
sad.gif
. Anyway, I seem to remember someone saying that Nepenthes sometimes flower when they grow into the thick shade of taller plants. If someone did say this, then I may be inclined to agree, as my khasiana flowered when it grew above the flourecent lights, perhaps mimiking that same situation. Cheers.

Abscisic acid in many regular plants induces flowering but I have no idea if that would be relevant to Neps or not.

if yah find out a trick let me know ive got a bongso with 4 feet of vine and no pitchers on the vine, do believe Capslock said his bongso is at around 9 feet and no pitchers on the vine either....no flower aswell.......actually looking at mysetup and planning on how im going to let it hit 12 plus feet and hoping it will flower.........at some point....my eymae x veitchii seems to want to flower as soon as it hits about 4 foot of vine......

Hmm, interesting.
Nice avatar, MrFlyTrap. xD I've seen it before, but it's still funny.

so would a pet store like petsmart and or a garden center llike homedepos or even johnsons have the coral chunks? i'v very curios as to trying this, and if this does work would it still be a good idea to water with distilled if they are getting the minerals and such from the coral?

Back