What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morphological differences in n sanguinea

Hello fellow Nepenthophiles!

I have a question reguarding the different forms of N sanguinea. I just recieved an N sanguinea 'red' today in the mail, and the first thing that I noticed (besides the gorgeous red pitchers
wink.gif
) is that the pitchers on this plant seem to be more elongated than on my N sanguinea 'spotted'. Both plants are more or less the same size (red: 8 inches diameter; spotted: 11 inches diameter), but the spotted sanguinea has pitchers that are a little bit "tubbier." I might just be imagining it, but I'd like to know if people with lots of experience with neps (Rob, Joachim, Tony, Troy, etc.) have seen something like this too. So, are there any morphological diferences between the the red and spotted forms of N sanguinea?

Thanks in advance.

Jœl

I may not be an expert on them, but I do know that many forms have atleast some variation in pitcher shape. This is typical of Nepenthes, as different clones of the same species can show differences in shape.

mindmaze i just did a search on the said plant and leaf on the plants look the same on all of them but the pitcher shape is diff and coloration. i found at least 2 types of this plant before i found the spotted in the goggles list.

N. sanguinea hybridize a lot in the wild with N. macfarlanei, and then cross back again.  In the wild there are plants that show a range of different shapes, probably because none of them are really pure.   'True' N. sanguinea should have a fairly long pitcher whilst 'true' N. macfarlanei has a characteristically tubby pitcher.  I don't think the coloration is necessarily related to the shape of the pitcher.

Some Nepenthes grow in relative isolation and have forms that are very uniform.  A good example would be the N. distillatoria that grows here which is geographically isolated and always has the same form, although the coloration varies.

I'm not saying that your speckled N. sanguinea with the tubbier pitchers has a N. macfarlanei for a Daddy, but quite possibly a Great Grand Daddy    
biggrin.gif

The N. sanguinea and N. macfarlanei we have grown here from seeds exhibit a really wide range of forms.  When we ship we select for form, which is leaving us with large numbers of what are unmistakeably hybrids  
sad.gif

hey rob if ya ever want to get reed of any hybrid you can always box them up and send them to me. i'll be happy to grow them out
smile.gif

Back