What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes clipeata not doing too good...

What's wrong with it? humidity is high, temps are high, only bad thing is i had a fungus attach recently:

EDIT: hey, where's the file attachment window in this page?

It's impossible to help you if you don't provide a description of the symptoms and a detailed account of the conditions under which the plant is growing....

Nepenthes clipeata is a highland so make sure it gets cooleder temps at night. A pic would help.

I wouldn't say it is a true blue highland Phil, it has been noted that it likes intermediate conditions the best, but can do with the occasional cold shot. N. clipeata

Hmm... I grow the *probably* not quite true form Clip-1 under true lowland conditions. Habitat ranges from about 600m to 800m which is not very high and I have heard anecdotal evidence that it's very hot in the day time in the area, although the nights would be a little cooler than at sea-level, it's true.

For comparison, N. macrovulgaris grows in exposed habitat at about the same altitude on Mt. Silam at similar latitude. N. macrovulgaris doesn't like true highland conditions (in my experience). However, N. reinwarditana from Mt. Silam thrives here under highland conditions. I've not thought of trying N. clipeata in the highlands. I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work I'll send the bill to Mr. Phil Traper 2
wink.gif

What sort of fungal attack did you have and what did you treat it with? And yes, a photo would help
biggrin.gif

How long have you had the plant? What are the actual temperatures day/night? What kind of light is it receiving?
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 10 2003,8:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How long have you had the plant?  What are the actual temperatures day/night?  What kind of light is it receiving?
Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've had the plant for a little over a month now i think. temps, I'm not sure, never did measure... it has 2 48 inch 40 watt plant grow lights.

Hello
first: this is not a true N. clipeata, perhaps a hybride.
second: I mean this plant has a massive attack of botriyis.

Hermann

In my former post I meant: attack of Bortrytis.

Hermann

Welcome to the forums Hermann!

Yes it appears to be the Clip-1 clone. Which I think we have decided now fairly certainly is N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae). There is an old thread around here that had quite the lively discussion on it.

Tony

wow.gif
Oh dear! Looks to me like chemical burn as well as fungal disease. What did you treat it with? I wouldn't keep it in the same area as any other plants if I were you!

Huh,

looks horrible. In addition to the points already mentioned above I believe the plant is very low on water. Being quite new it might be the roots were badly damaged when you got it. It isn't a cutting, isn't it? Another reason could also be the plant got slightly frozen in mail or during transporting it.

Do you know its former growth conditions?

Good luck!

Joachim

I was wondering the same things as Joachim, hence my question on how long you have had it. Did the brown areas develop shortly after arriving? It also appears to be flaccid from lack of water but I can see the potting mix appears moist. Which leads me to believe there is a problem with the roots. Either they have died off from disease or mishandling. If it did arrive bareroot and that damage is caused by cold freezing temperatures instead of fungus the roots could have been equally damaged.

My question is this. Did the brown areas start out small and slowly progress to this stage now or did they all appear suddenly and to the extent we see now?

Tony

I had a plant look like this for a year. It was a N. 'Cornelias Bak" from Clyde Bramblett(It's a nice hybrid with maybe maxima in it: that's about all I can say). It was quite top heavy and maybe it did suffer root damage, as I got it origianally to show off for my daughter's science fair project(I wanted a Nepenthes bigger than what I had). So beside getting potted up(and wobbling quite bad), it got dragged to a display at school. I thought maybe the brown was from lack of air movement from being in a 10 gallon aquarium, which it did fit in(barely), but root damage was not one I had thought of.
Is there a way of keeping a plant steady like that(assuming you don't plant to drive it around) while it's roots adjust? I packed LF mossaround the base of the vine as much as I could without pressing hard on the soil, but that was not enough. Perhaps stake it?

Regards,

Joe

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 11 2003,05:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was wondering the same things as Joachim, hence my question on how long you have had it.  Did the brown areas develop shortly after arriving?  It also appears to be flaccid from lack of water but I can see the potting mix appears moist.  Which leads me to believe there is a problem with the roots.  Either they have died off from disease or mishandling.  If it did arrive bareroot and that damage is caused by cold freezing temperatures instead of fungus the roots could have been equally damaged.  

My question is this.   Did the brown areas start out small and slowly progress to this stage now or did they all appear suddenly and to the extent we see now?

Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yes, the brown spots appeared about 2-3 days after arrival. it started small, and it seemes like overnight it came to the extent seen now... I think it took 1 1/2 days for them to appear. it came bareroot, and i potted it in a rocky medium, a peat/pinch of sand/pumice/lava rock/orchid bark/a little charchol mix...

Back