What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big nepenthes bicalcarata for sale

Just curious, how long does it take to get a bical to that size, lol?

I guess I won't start the auction tomorrow unless I get this shipping/packaging figured out.

I might be able to get away with a 24" box without breaking anything. I work with junk mail so I've got access to all sorts of bulk boxes for envelopes I'll bring a few of the biggest home and see if I can fit it in em.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fit in a styrofoam cooler but it would nice!

Tony, how do you figure the total size of the package? Do I multiply length x width x height = _ ? I saw them do it once on the news when they were talking about luggage size but I forgot the process.
And  thanks for looking those prices/sizes up for me above as well!

Griffin, it didn't take very long for it to get real big. I got the plant last June and it fit uncramped with other plants in a 29 gallon terrarium but not for very long. I have two small green/orange form bicals which were 2" in diameter when I got them in Dec. and they are now 7- 8"!

Josh why not take it to Jerry Fischer? I am sure he would love it and would pay you a good amt of money since you are a good customer of his. You oculd visit it too.
wink.gif

Pete I think the styrofoam coolers your talking about would be a little short, because you would have make it fit you would have to bend and wrap the leaves downward towards the roots. Hard to say exactly without trying though. Some Nepenthes are more flexible than others..

With a plant this size it is best handled in two parts. Wrapping the rootball in plastic wrap first. Then covering the plant with a bag to keep it from drying out. It is also very important to secure the plant well in the box. You don't want the rootball crushing the plant or being pulled apart from the leaf/stem section

I suspect the best plan would be to pull the leaves up in a cone shape. The leaf blades should be fairly flexible. This is also less risky than pulling the leaves down towards the roots, which is more likely to crease the midrib or bend the petiole. It should be possible to get the whole thing into a fairly narrow package this way although it will be fairly long.

To measure the total dimensions add the 4 short sides (girth/circumference) to the length. ie a package 12x18x36 would be 12+12+18+18+36. If it is a round package then a tape measure would be needed to measure circumference.

Tony

I just called USPS (1-800-275-8777) and they told me it would be $16.13 to mail a package that is 3 feet cubed and weighed 10 lb. It would be mailed air mail. They also said it would get any where in the country in 5 to 6 days.

Jeremiah

Do you mean 3 cubic feet or 3ftx3ftx3ft which is 27 cubic feet? I haven't called my local post office but the online rate calculator has always been very accurate /shrug. 5-6days is parcel post speed. A Nepenthes should be able to handle this time in shipping but only if really well packaged. The problem seems to be not the time frame but more with the chance the package is going to be sitting around somewhere for a while where it might get too hot or too cold..

Tony

I have been following this topic since about five-ten minutes after the initial post, but I still haven't said anything. I really don't have much to say, except for: WOW, HOLY COW, HOLY CARNIVOROUS PLANTS, I'LL BE A MONKEY'S UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
If I had a bigger lowland tank (my current is somewhere between 5&10 gal...) I would've just sent you $150 when I first saw the pics... GREAT PLANT!!! I say keep it, no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
Ok, ok this post did nada, zelch, zippo!, (except for give you a good luck wish!
confused.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
)

Have you grown/currently grow any other Nepenthes Trinity? A 4' N. bicalcarata is not something you would want to start out with jumping into Nepenthes culture. I am sure Swords would like to be sure that his plant will go to someone that has the facilities and experience to care for such a plant.

Tony

he ne't on Ebay yet are you doing the auction here or on Ebay. Can't wait
biggrin.gif

No more pestering Swords about when/where/how he will offer his plant. I am sure when he is decided and ready he will make it known.
Tony

Also in one more remark....

Keepin mind this plant in is a SHOWER STALL....not a little 2 ft tall growchamber. Be sure if you plan on obtaining it please have a large area in which to grow it succesfully. I am in the process of planning a larger grow area for my N. bicalcarata...it's only 2 ft across but it won't be that way forever, so with that said please only be serious about this plan if you have the space. If you think you can get away with it in a 55 gallon fish aquarium or large plastic bag, you are wrong, this is not intended as a shouting post but more of a 'caring' post. In other words don't you want this plant to live and prosper?

I didn't say I was going to buy it. Just thinking abot it. I mightbe able to make the room for it if I do.

swords, I'd make the lowest bid 150 dollars, i bet you could get at least 500 for it at the end, a much as them 3 inch bicals go for, sometimes at the end they get 30 bucks for them...
wow.gif

I'll post it soon I'm just working on how to package it up before I post it on Ebay for sale. My local PO said just what Tony did, 108" total dimensions. And maximum up to 126" with a "large surcharge". I just wanna make sure someone gets the plant in good shape and not hastilly crammed in a box.

Any idea where you buy those packing peanuts? I know where to get bubble wrap for insulation but I've never seen just a big sack of styrofoam peanuts for sale. I think tose would be the best way to keep the plant "tight" in the box.

I agree styrofoam peanuts are deffinately the best for insulation and securing the plant and keeping damage minimized. You can get them at staples/officemax/mailboxes etc. Unfortunately they are not that cheap ;/ Might call up a bunch of friends and see if anyone has any.. I am always scrounging up packing peanuts LOL.

T

I am getting a bigger grow chamber it is going to 6 ft and 3ft wide.
biggrin.gif
I just want to see the price I am getting the bigger chamber later if I do buy the plant. I probably will bid ones. But I know I won't win! I am going to start with a smaller plant and then if the plant is easy to grow I am going to way harder stuff. I need something hard for the summar. Like for later July any recommendations?
biggrin.gif

Packing peanuts are at any mail store place, ie "Mailbox ,Ect"
The UPS Store, even U-Haul.

Regards,

Joe

They even have lots of ads on eBAy for packing peanuts at wholesale cost, lol.

Office max? Cool I was gonna go there today and look for a big shipping carton anyway!
smile.gif

Phil, my shower stall is 5 feet long by 3 feet deep, it's the depth dimensions that I am getting rid of the plant because of. 3 ft seems big but it isn't enough. On other plants I've noticed that leaves and pitchers sitting against walls have a tendency to deform so it needs a space that will hold it's max dimensions. If you haven't built your chamber yet build it to be at least 6 ft x 6ft x 6ft and you won't have to get rid of your prize plant in a year or two like me. It sucks to have to get rid of your favorite plant cos it's too big, especially when you know it's only halfway to maturity!

I tried to donate mine to the St. Paul Botanical Gardens conservatory (along with a promise to stop in once a week to tend to it) but after a 2 week silence their committee eventually decided that "Asian plants are not our focus, depite the attraction appeal" or something like that.

Back