What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoots

How big do you all let basal shoots get before you cut them off? The plant in question is a Nep Coccinea and the basal shoot is nearing 5 inches across.
confused.gif

I don't cut off the basal shoots, i just let them grow with the parent, it looks nice, a big clump of pitchers
biggrin.gif

I would leave the shoot on and cut the plant back instead because I like lower pitchers better. But if you want to cut the basal shoot off 5 inches across is more than enough. I usually try to aim for 3 inches at least.
smile.gif

Mike
smile.gif

What can I do to get my Ventricosa to make basil shoots? It's only a 6 inch tall plant, but I'm affraid that if I nip the growing point it will just fork and fall all over it'self.... Oh yah, and how do you know when to replant a Nep anyways?

Nepenthes make basal shoots when they are good and ready. Most species will grow a great distance before forming one. You can also cut it back till there's about 3-4 inches of stem left and they will usually then sprout basal rosettes because o how close they were hacked down. Repotting a Nepenthes is when they soil becomes "compacted" at least that's how I tell. You can also pull it out to check. Usually the roots will be intertwined in the media and starting the wrap the pot.

Darcie the N. Ventricosa makes basal shoots when it is in good highland conditions. My N. ventricosa is 4inches high and has 2 basal shoots. ( Not bragging)
wink.gif
. Phil

I was surprised the other day to see a basal shoot coming up from the soil on my gracilis....This is a cutting that rooted, oh, 3 or 4 months ago. I has produce 3 (or 4?) and 1/2 pitchers (I say "and 1/2" because there is one still forming...). So this plant is young, yet still managed to produce a basal shoot. Is this a common trait of gracilis?

gracillis it probably one of the 'weeds' of the nepenthes family, i have yet to see one that didn't put out basal shoots!

Darcie, there was some talk of experimenting with a product called kiki paste here a while back, I was going to buy some and experiement, but I could not bring myself to spend the money. (It's expensive, and I have other things to spend money on&#33
wink.gif

Any way, what you do with it is gently remove the tissue covering a node, and then cover the node in kiki paste.

the paste is a strong hormone that activates the groth point.

This was designed for orchids, and some people have reported success in Nepenthes, I don't think it has become a widely used method though. (As I said, it's expensive, you wanna spend 30 bucks on a thuimbul full of it, or 30 on a plant?
smile.gif
)

Back