What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gracilis/mirabilis ?

Hello,
I recieved this plant as a gift awhile back, and I'm wondering exactly what species/variety it is.  I'm not a Nepenthes expert by any means, so please help me out if you can.  On one side of the tag it simply reads "N. gracilis".  Simple enough.  However, on the other side of the tag, it reads: "N. Mirabilis "Brunei speckled" ".  

My initial assesment is that this might be a hybrid of some sorts?  Any info would be appreciated.  Here's a pic for you all.
gracilis.jpg

-homer

The pic doesn't show up for me. Hmm. Could you just post a direct link to it? Some home sites don't let you link directly to other web pages.

Capslock

Sorry about that.  Geocities doesn't like the hyperlink access from what I hear.  Here's the updated pic  
wink.gif

-Homer
gracilis.jpg

It's a Gracilis. A very beautiful one though
smile.gif

That's a very interesting form of N. gracilis.
confused.gif
Maybe it's a hybrid between the two names on the tag? Could you get a picture of one of the pitchers if possible? Preferably the front of it.

That is a wonderful plant Homer. I notice that the leaves seem to be reddish. When I placed my N. x Coccinea into a new hot tank (under brighter lights, more heat and more humidity) its leaves began to turn red so I took a bank of lights away. Now I wonder if it was alright that way and I should have left the lights.

Also, I wonder if yours is a Gracilis "nigrapurpurea".

nepenthes gracilis,
I'll have a picture of a front pitcher in just a bit...
Copper,
As it turns out, this plant has always been reddish.  The friend that gave it to me had it a few years, in various conditions, most of the time it was on the cool side with lower light levels in fact.  Only recently has this plant been placed in higher light/warmer conditions.  The color has stayed the same, but it is very vine like now.  If it wasn't for the glass side of the tank, it would be laying horizontally.
BTW, the soil is as outlined in The Savage Garden.  Temps are currently low 70's F high and mid 60's F low.  
-Homer

Here you go.  Got a picture of a mature pitcher close up.  Hope this helps  
smile.gif

-Homer

ngracilis.jpg

Copper, reddening of leaves is good, all my new plants turn red when they arrive until they acclimate to my growing chambers. Only burning (brown and crispy like autumn leaves) is bad. Nothing wrong with the red coloration, which BTW is a chemical created by the plant as an aide to block bright light. Only the old leaves will be that mottled red color, the new leaves formed under the bright light will be stronger and normal green but may continue to have a pink tinge when they mature (depending upon species). The new leaves under the brighter light may be slightly smaller and thicker at first but the pitchers can be far more substantial and more colorful with a good jump in lighting quality.

Artificial light is very dim in comparison to the intensity of the sun, even a cloudy overcast sun. We humans do not realize how dim only one or two fluorescent bulbs are, they seem plenty bright to our eyes. Our plants however, know how bright it really is because they depend upon this light for photosynthesis.

Nutrients derived from carnivory doesn't mean they need less light for growth and health. It means that the nutrients derived from carnivory assist in their rates of photosynthesis (which can only be increased with increased lighting).

Hope that helps!

Copper, is that what your gracilis 'nigrapurpurea' looks like?

Yes, that looks like a typical N. gracilis var. nigrapurpurea to me. Good job on the lighting source! I find it VERY difficult to obtain that rich fo coloration. I have one out in the greenhouse, we'll see what it does. I've been successful in only obtain bronzy pitchers and leaves but nothing like your plant, I would love to arrange a trade or something for a cutting!

I am guessing the plant originated from Bruce Lee Bednar, as he is th e only person I have ever seen N. mirabilis "Brunei Speckled" listed from, and he also has N. gracilis 'nigrapurpurea', too. That is a really niced colored plant, so don't change what you are doing.

Joe

Thanks guys! I plan on doing a cutting(s) sometime in the next few months. Any suggestions as a sure fire method to do so since I've never done this before, givin the size of the plant I have?

The plant is origionally from Andrew Marshall of Cascade Carnivores here in Tenino, WA. (45 min drive from my house).

-Homer

What swords said is money in the bank for nepenthes growers, or growers of any plant for that matter. The lighting conditons have been my main focus (and humidity) since I started growing neps outside. Sunlight is really wonderful for neps, until they bake -- sometimes quickly.

You must max out the light on any plant -- without overmaxing it -- to get the best results. The leaves on a nep. should be a waxy green, bronze, or reddish (some leaves "freckle" red when they get a bit too much light, that's OK). The pitchers will ALWAYS be most colorful with more light.

But, always remember, burning comes right after freckling and redness. So, you have to babysit any plant long enough to see if the new light is just right or just wrong. It really is a very fine line sometimes.

Young plants, especially, will look great and then suddenly brown on you. Usually, if you catch it within a day or so you'll only lose a couple leaves and pitchers. The bright side is this: you've gone a long way towards sun-hardening or light-hardening your plant. The dead pitchers and leaves will not thank you.
tounge.gif

Greetings from Malaysia,

Yes, the plant is definitely a N. gracilis. N. gracilis and N. mirablis are quite common in the western lowlands of Peninsular Malaysia. They are found in secondary jungle and disturbed land.

In my search for lowland N. sanguinea at Bukit (hill) Antarabangsa I came across a few mirablis and graclis by a stream with very little shade. So they can withstand strong sun.

Unfortunately, by now, the plants would have made way for a new condominum.

cheers
Choong

Hi Choong,
Did you ever find the lowland N. sanguinea at Antarabangsa?

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 17 2003,1:21)]I am guessing the plant originated from Bruce Lee Bednar, as he is th e only person I have ever seen N. mirabilis "Brunei Speckled" listed from
Joe, you are correct!  I just found out that the tag is also marked "BLB".  Just wanted to let you all in on that tid bit of information.

-Homer

I sent Bruce Lee Bednar a few pictures of the plant today, and he confirms its a N. gracilis var. nigrapurpurea.

Anyone else growing this species besides nepenthes gracilis?  I would like to see some other pictures of this variety!

-Homer

Hmmm...that's a gracilis? My gracilis is all green! I never knew there was a red version of nep gracilis!
biggrin.gif

Jason

Back