What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Effects of Superthrive

Hey all,
I was wondering what does superthrive do to the Nepenthes?

Hi eplants02,

There have been a couple of posts about this (some were in general discussions) but the gist of it is that some Neps enjoy a dose of 1/2-1 drop per gallon of Superthrive once a month.

I personally conducted an experiment of ovedosing my N. Ventricosa. A good 20 times the dose
wink.gif
Anyhow, my leaves unfurled like crazy, but my developing pitchers went into stasis until I flushed out the pot with water and waited a month or so. Not a good experiment, mmmkay?

It's easy mmmmkay?

lol...

pretty much that's it... I use it every other month... but If others are using it without ill effect monthly... then go for it!

But what happens to the plant itself once you applied the Superthrive?

the plant itself remains the same. once you have applied it it will take about 1-2 weeks before you notice the results. i am seeing results with my slow growing judith finn and my others
smile.gif

i use 1 drop to a gallon, but what usualy happens is it grows faster, bigger, and more pitchers
smile.gif

but if you use it too much the plant will think its getting enough nutrients from the ST and wotn put out any more pitchers since its already 100% healthy
smile.gif

or if you apply too much it wont pitcher at all, itll go into stasis like wickedthistle said =/

When I started on Superthrive, my N. Ventricosa and N. Alata grew new growth at the bottom of the plants about a month later, two for N. Ventricosa and three for my N. Alata. I was never really sure if it was because of the superthrive though. But I began applying the stuff again last month after stopping for a few months, and last week I had 2 more growth starting on the bottom of the N. Alata. (but nothing for Ventricosa yet)

I think ST may help against shock if aplied a week before trans-planting and while transplanting. There are many ways to induce basal shoots in N.Ventricosa if exposed to high light levels then brought back to normal levels they well put out many off-shoots. I've gotten 2-3 basal shoots on my plants before. These were imature plants and this is has also worked for fatboy. I heard people say that when they get a new plant they applie ST and they then think it was the ST and not the plant adjusting to the enviroment that makes them grow faster.

That's a lot of basal shooting( bang!).

I was going to ask about that today. My ventricosa has two small leaves coming out of the side of the stem, underneath a larger leaf. Is this a basal shoot? Oh - and my plant gets high light, but it doesn't drop to "normal" light unless you're counting the natural cycle of daylight.

Thanks for the info, guys and gals.
smile.gif

Wickedthistle,

That's probably just a dormant bud in the stem that's growing for some reason. The basal shoots come from in the soil.

Superthrive is a vitamin complex along with some hormone for rooting. If mixed properly, cuttings may be dipped in it prior to sticking and the vitamin B complex in it can help plants against shock when transplanting. I have never seen drastic results one way or the other when using it, but if it makes you happy....go for it.

Kim

Back